We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in London in October

baroda
2 posts
What to wear in London in October

I'm from India and am travelling to London in 4-5 days along with my 2 kids aged 5 and 10. What kind of clothes should we carry?

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,614 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: What to wear in London in October

Clothes that will keep you warm and dry. If its not raining, carry a little day-sack and put the rain jacket in it.

If it is not that cold, put your warm layer in their too.

Today it is cool and sunny. Next week.....who knows?

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,614 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: What to wear in London in October

" in their too".

Jings. I should be shot. ..."in there, too." Sorry! And really sorry to Mr McIlavanney, the English teacher.

London
Level Contributor
218 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: What to wear in London in October

Hi Baroda,

The weather in London is inherently unpredictable, due to the UK's maritime climate.

At the moment, we are having a cool & sunny spell (daytime highs around 16C/61F) but it's highly likely to turn cloudy and damp again within a few days.

So, if you're from coming India and (presumably) used to a hotter climate, you should probably plan to dress in a layered way, so that you can add or shed clothing in response to the ambient temperature. And you should definitely bring waterproofs (or an umbrella !). And comfortable shoes for all the walking you're going to be doing !

Also, as London is a large cosmopolitan city with a significant population of residents whose family origins are in the sub-continent, you can feel confident in wearing the same styles of clothing you would at home (subject to weather constraints above !) without attracting comment or attention.

Have a great trip !

James

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: What to wear in London in October

With a name like that he sounds more like a Scottish teacher. ;-)

Hi Baroda, Peter's right. Coming from India you'll feel cold, so bring warm clothes and a rain proof jacket. We usually tell people to dress in layers that can easily be removed if the weather improves, so underneath wear a t shirt or a shirt, then a jumper or fleece, then a jacket on top. It's nice today, about 14 degrees and very sunny, but that can all change within 2 days, let alone 5. I hope it's nice for you.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
5. Re: What to wear in London in October

It's honestly impossible to advise sensibly without knowing how used to, and tolerant of, cool, damp weather you are.

London weather's notoriously unpredictable, so checking the forecasts has limited value. And while by the standards of unfortunate cities like New York it never gets really cold, the combination of possible humidity and temperatures between 10-15 might strike many Indians as almost unbearable. On the other hand, you're unlikely to be spending much time outside, and for most people you need little more than an umbrella and decent shoes to get from a tube station to the inside of a museum.

If you haven't got much by way of warm clothes or water-repellent gear, you're probably best off waiting till you get here. Then, as soon as you've judged your tolerance, go to Primark in Oxford Street. Prices are dirt cheap, and though a lot of the stuff isn't meant to last a lifetime (even the lifetime of some butterflies), it'll probably keep you warm and dry for the duration of a holiday.

London
Level Contributor
654 posts
6. Re: What to wear in London in October

I'm slightly sceptical about this layering idea. It's all well and good if you are going to have 4 seasons in one day but - although that happens - it's not the norm.

Today for instance, 13.10.09, It's sunny and dry and I'll be surprised if it does not stay that way. It's also mild. So anyone who set out this AM togged up in jumpers, anoraks, T-shirts etc etc is going to spend most of the day carrying unwanted clothes.

Unless you are going snorkelling in the Thames in mid December I think you'll always be OK with a decent down jacket and a light, easily packable waterproof jacket. Rather than layers, if it's warm, unzip the down jacket. If Cold vice versa. If you are doing a serious days tourism away from your base then you don't want to be carrying around spare jumpers, scarves etc etc.

jm2c...

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: What to wear in London in October

I'm a keen advocate of layers = pull on/off in/out of day bag, so that I can regulate my body temp. Princess et mange tout est moi - very sensitve to ambient temps & humidity.

Many many a time have I packed the wrong stuff when all I really needed was appropriate layers. Some OPs ask about bringing heavy coats & chunky jumpers which are really not need in central London. As suggested a good down jacket or coat will see you through the chilliest of London days & out in to the country (or as close as Kew Gardens).

Yes, today in central London is sunny & warm enough. So light outer windproof waterproof layer, thin T & jumper sees me through the whole day. Another degree or two lower & I'l stuff a thin scarf & gloves into my bag so I'm not chilled as I traipse home after dark

However, for those used to warmer climes & without enough time to acclimatise, don't forget to pack cosy nightwear. Walking round the city in the daytime keeps you warm(er), but in the still of the night, bedsocks are your friend ;-)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
8. Re: What to wear in London in October

I too am against layers, mostly in Winter. It's so warm in shops, restaurants, pubs, hotels that all I need is something slightly warm in the inside and a very heavy coat.

But in Spring/Autumn, layers are a good thing because it can be warm(ish) during the day but cold during the night. So, carrying a sweater that will go between my shirt/cotton turtleneck and my jacket is an excellent idea.

London
Level Contributor
654 posts
9. Re: What to wear in London in October

"It's so warm in shops, restaurants, pubs, hotels that all I need is...."

that's the crux of the matter for me. Whilst outside I can manage pretty much any temperature at all as long as I am more or less appropriately dressed. But put me in an overheated restaurant, hotel, shop, museum and it's curtains in less than 5 minutes. That's what scares me about this layering gig.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,812 posts
49 reviews
10. Re: What to wear in London in October

It scares you that you can take your jacket off if you're too hot?

When we talk about layers here we're not talking 10 different goose down filled thermal ones that you have to cast off like a comedy stripper as soon as you get indoors for fear of heat exhaustion. Just an outer layer (windproof / waterproof shell) a warmer insulater like a fleece, and a t shirt.

A simple 3 layer system is proven to be effective, from deserts to jungles to tundras to Clapham high street. If you don't have an outer jacket or a fleece / jumper with you in a daysack, you can't get any warmer or drier if the weather gets worse can you?