We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways Cancellation Charges!

California
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
British Airways Cancellation Charges!

After the first bombings, I cancelled my planned trip to Rome via London. While I understand many thoughts on the subject, the bottom line was I was taking my 4 year old boy and the risk far outweighed the benefit. That being said, I had to cancel my flights. British Airlines charged me $200 per ticket (5 tickets) for a total of $1,000. I e-mailed them and asked them to donate the $1,000 to the victims of the 7/7 bombings. I never got a response. Seems rather rude, huh?

Ann

nyc
Level Contributor
173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways Cancellation Charges!

You didn't HAVE to cancel your flight. You CHOSE to.

Why should BA pay for that?

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways Cancellation Charges!

My suggestion would be to write to BA customer service or send a letter to the CEO. I doubt you will get much since you chose to cancel.

I had a flight on 9/13/01 from ATL > Italy -- it was cancelled due to 9/11/01 and they issued me a refund but that was because flights were cancelled by the us govt.

Btw if you believe you are safer in california than you are in London, you are mistaken. But I can understand where you are coming from.

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways Cancellation Charges!

Alway buy travel insurance.

$200 a ticket to cancel is quite reasonable.

(Why five tickets for just two of you?)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,034 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways Cancellation Charges!

BA are quite coy on their website about what service charges are added to cancellation fees - you are invited (!) to call them for more info on the charges and fees.

Each ticket attaches different charges, depending on whether or not it's full fare, and I suspect class of service has something to do with it too.

California
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways Cancellation Charges!

Hi,

I understand that I chose to cancel. I guess I am more taken aback by the policy of charging a fee for cancelling tickets. I made the reservation on their website and I cancelled it on their website. Both transactions cost BA nothing. The trip was in November, so they undoubtedly will resell the seats. I had five tickets for my entire family that was going....it just seems a little excessive....

Ann

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
879 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways Cancellation Charges!

Ann - its called passive income - its a sad fact :(

When I went on virgin upper class last month, i got to the airport 5 hrs ahead, there were a lot of open seats on the earlier flights, but they wanted $50 to switch.

It's all a scam... the more they can rip you, the more they will.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways Cancellation Charges!

When the first bombings occurred, this is the notice we got from United Airlines, our carrier. Maybe you could show this to BA and ask them if they will match this level of customer service??

CHICAGO, July 7, 2005 – United Airlines today has revised its ticketing policies for travel to and from London Heathrow Airport. Effective immediately, these new policies apply to all customers ticketed on or before July 6, 2005, for travel through July 22, 2005, to or from London on any United, United Express and Ted or United code-share flight. To make these changes, passengers should call United’s reservations line at 1-800-241-6522 by midnight on their original travel date.

For customers currently en route who would like to return to their point of origin, all rules and restrictions regarding standard change fees, day or time applications, and/or minimum stay or Saturday night-stay requirements have been waived. Customers may make a change to their flight reservation on or before July 22, 2005 for any available flight to or from London.

Customers with unused tickets for travel within this time period may also reschedule their travel between the same origin and destination without a change fee. Rescheduled travel for the same itinerary must meet the same rule and booking code restrictions in order to guarantee the original fare. Rescheduled travel on flights and/or dates that do not meet the original restrictions may be subject to higher fares.

These policies also apply to any Mileage Plus tickets that meet these same date and itinerary guidelines.

Although United has not canceled or rescheduled any flights as of today, customers are advised to visit United’s Website at www.united.com or to call 1-800-241-6522 for information on canceled or rescheduled flights.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways Cancellation Charges!

While nobody likes the fees, it's understandable (kind of) why the airlines charge them. If there were little or no penalty to change/cancel tickets (especially discounted fare tickets), people would be changing their flight arrangements all the time.

north-east NJ
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways Cancellation Charges!

Since the trip isn't until Nov. $200 p/ticket does seem excessive. On the other hand, since you canceled a trip in Nov due to an event in early July, I wouldn't expect BA to waive any cancellation or change fees; That would put them in a position to lose a whole lot of money. If your trip were scheduled for the 10th of July, you chose to cancel, & BA didn't waive or lower the fee, I'd say they were insensitive. As it stands though, business as usual.

nyc
Level Contributor
173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways Cancellation Charges!

Ann;

While 200 a ticket IS excessive, they really do need to have a penalty from a business perspective. If they allowed people to book and cancel without penalty, their reservation system would be in shambles.

Hell, everyone would book a bunch of different flights then just cancel the ones they don't end up wanting. You and they would have no idea which flights are truly booked and which ones are not.

this, howver, doesn't mean they should view it as a profit center by overcharging, like BA did. For instance, JetBlue charges 25 bucks. Fair enough.