We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

California
2 posts
Save Topic
Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

Does anyone know if vitamins are required by the FAA or any other international agency to be in their orignial bottles on overseas flights? Is there any risk to checking bags carrying liquid supplements? Can vitamins be carried out of the bottle in small individual bags (sorted for daily use)?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,234 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

First, with respect to liquid supplements. I've put liquids in my checked bags on almost every flight I've taken in the past three years, and only had one mishap ('what's that damp bit? uh-oh...') in a fair number of flights.

A bit of masking tape around the cap, then I put the bottles in a zipper top plastic bag and toss that into my checked bag.

As far as taking vitamins in your carryon bag, I usually decant a few multivites and some herbal sleeping meds (valerian and hops in clear capsules) into a small plastic bag, which goes in my sponge bag. So far no problems.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
35,929 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

I've never had a problem with over-the-counter meds -- I usually carry Tylenol, Aleve, Pepto-Bismol, and Sudafed, in addition to my vitamins (I'm usually traveling for work, so don't always have the luxury of having time to pop out to the chemist -- a quick fix on the run is more commonly my lot!)

I put them all in a single bottle (they're all very different, appearance-wise, so there's not really a way to mix them up) and stuff a tissue in to keep them from rattling against each other (and grinding each other to dust.)

Never once been questioned on any of it -- I figure the worst that can happen is they take it, and I'll have to buy more at my destination. (not too worried about criminal charges -- a simple test would reveal them to be what I said they were.)

California
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

Thanks so much for the input and advice. They were so helpful!!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,443 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

The only country I know where you might have problems is Dubai - they have a massive list of things you are not allowed to import

but since this is the London forum - you know we even have chemists here !!! I am amazed at the stuff people carry around the world

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
35,929 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

Barb, I know you have chemists/pharmacies/drugstores there -- and I've found many, many meds in the UK and on the Continent that far outperform anything I've bought here in the States -- well enough that if I have time, I make time to go shopping so I can take some home!

My point was that when traveling for business (and for leisure too -- it's just not quite as urgent!), I've found that it's best to carry at least a dose or two of common meds, as headaches, drippy noses, and dodgy tums rarely manage to schedule themselves around meetings -- or even at a time when the shops are open...I've found out the hard way that having enough meds to at least get me through a few hours -- til I can get to the shops -- make the difference between carrying on my day and either struggling through a meeting, absolutely miserable, or cancelling altogether (definitely something to be avoided.)

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

TSA requirements are simple. To be packed in carry on - medications must be Rx and in their original pharmacy packaging along with original Rx forms - ask your physician for at least one extra complete set. Liquid Rx meds are fine in original packaging in carry-on. All must have pharmacy labeling.

Baby requirements can be packed in carry on but must be in original packaging.

I take a large number of medications including one that's injectible so I travel with syringes. No problem with the Rx forms. I have the pharmacist package meds for the appropriate number of days for my trip, plus 1 week, just in case. I carry all my meds in Zip Lock bags for convenience.

I'm sure everyone has heard of someone who paid no attention to the rules and got away with it. I'm not so sure.

Do not repackage Rx medications in little plastic bags, or day-by-day sorters or envelopes with instructions handwritten on the front, unless you wish to have the choice of going without meds or staying home with them, as someone on one of my recent flights did. She was lucky. A friend was on a flight to Europe from US and someone with little plastic bags had her meds seized and she was walked out of the airport into an Air Marshall's car. She didn't make the flight.

The lesson? Don't decide that the rules apply only to others. Do what the TSA says, or forget the trip.

Vitamins can be packaged any way you wish because they go in checked luggage unless they are by Rx and in pharmacy packaging. Personally, I don't repackage them, I don't know what a security inspector at the other end might think they are, and I'm already traveling with syringes - I'm not big on pushing my luck.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
222 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

I'm not big on pushing my luck.

1BCTraveler-

i'm with you on that. I bring every document possible and do things the way they like it unless I know otherwise that I don't need to do so. I'd hate to have TSA "checking me out" for some unknown pill or what have you.

For the OP I would just put your vitamins in your checked baggage if that's an option.

Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

When you say an Rx form, do you mean a copy of the original prescription? I have taken my prescriptions in the original bottles the last 5 times I've been (the last was in 2006) but have never taken a form. Is this something new? I am leaving in 28 days, so I would like to know if I need to get copies to take with me.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

It's not a rule, but just making life easy for yourself. If I travel overseas with unusual presecreptin drugs that might not be freely available where I'm going, I take prescriptions to show just in case there are difficulties at customs.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
35,929 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vitamins in carry on bags on overseas flights

as long as they're in their original bottles, you have the prescription...carrying a written prescription would be a 'belt and braces' approach -- probably more than you need, as the label *should* be enough, but adds a layer of insurance if you're taking anything very out of the ordinary.