We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

Laredo, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

How much do they charge one way? Do they charge per person or for each vehicle? How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel? Thanks for your answers! ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

From the wording of question, I'm not sure if you realise that it's a train tunnel, rather than a road tunnel. There are two services through the tunnel - the Eurostar passenger services, and the Shuttle services that carry cars ond lorries on the train.

Assuming you do realise all that (sorry!), and it's the Shuttle you asking about ... from the trains departure from Folkestone to its arrival at Calais is 35 minutes. On top of that ythere is time for queueing up and embarkation time at Folkestone, and disembarkation time at Calais.

You pay per vehicle.

This is a good website about Le Shuttle: www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcPassengers/

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
48 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

There are 2 ways of going through the tunnel.

Eurotunnel is a company that operates trains from Folkestone to Calais. You drive your car on to the train. Here's their website for details of cost.

http://www.eurotunnel.co.uk/ukcP3Main/ The crossing takes about half an hour. Cost varies depending on how far you book in advance and whether you are able to take advantage of any special deals. However the standard one way far for a car and all its passengers is 49 pounds.

The other company is Eurostar and it runs passenger trains (i.e. no cars) from London to Paris, Brussels, Lille and links up with connecting trains to almost anywhere in Europe. You can book through tickets to heaps of places. Journey time London to Paris is around 2hours 20minutes. Cost varies just like an airline and just like an airline there are 2 classes of travel, so it would be best to check out their website for the dates you want and also whether they have any special deals for the period you want.

http://www.eurostar.com/

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

Channel Tunnel, Yes?

It's charged the same as the ferry. Foot passenger or vehicles, except you are loaded onto a train instead of a boat.

Different charges apply depending on times & dates. You normally get 'packges' for a vehicle and passengers. Charging is now each way.

It's about £35 mins. and costs from £49 return for car & all passengers. Book i sadvance for best fares and to avoid delays & dissapointment.

Stoofer

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

LOL - posts crossed. I think only one answer needed.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

Something else you may not realise - if you are renting a car, the cost for a one-way rental will be very high. Where 'very' is an amount large enough that your question about the cost for the vehicle to go across the tunnel will seem quite irrelevant. This is in the unlikley event that one-way rental is even available

Second, if you are planning to do this for a London-Paris transfer, its a bad idea for reasons of cost, time, and hassle.

Third, if you are an American (and thus used to driving on the right), the combination of you, car hired in one country, and being driven in another where they drive on the other side of the road, is a great way to get in an accident.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

And a rental company may not permit you to take a car to Europe, or will change a very high extra insurance.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

I notice from your other post that you're going to Germany? If you're planning on driving from London to Germany and imagine that Europe is like America for driving, then I think you really need to re-plan. There is no way it would be economical to drive those distances, even if you could find a hire car company that would allow it one way. It would certainly be much cheaper and easier for you to fly and hire a car in Germany.

I'd suggest you post with more details such as dates, budget, number of people and where you'd like to go and you'll probably get a lot of help here which will save you a whole lot of time and money.

Laredo, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

Thank you so much for all of your messages. Yes, I do plan to travel through several countries and I need to ask mannnnnnnnnny more questions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

If flying isn't an option*, then consider rail travel. It can be inexpensive, fairly enviro-green, and a wonderful way to watch the countryside zip past. To that end, have a look at Mark Smith's labour of love, www.seat61.com for plenty of info on rail travel.

*flying from London to Germany, Switzerland, France, Holland and more need not include departures from Heathrow. Check out flights from LCY, London City Airport; LGW, Gatwick; and STN, Stansted.

There are low cost carriers offering very inexpensive flights, but there are downsides to some of the services: strict baggage limits, strict boarding times; very early or late arrivals / departures, and use of airports an hour or more from a major city.

10. Re: How long does it take to cross the Euro tunnel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 06:47