We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

Rye, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
26 reviews
Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

Hi thanks for you thoughts. Its about 85 miles (136 kilometers) or 1 hour and 45 minute drive. Our flight leaves for JFK from terminal 5 I think at 10:00 a.m on Thursday December 6.

We were thinking about getting a room closer to the airport. Neither one of us wants to stay at the airport.

If you have experience doing this would you do it again? I would just as soon stay in Rye and be on the road by 5:00 am.

Shawn

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,785 Reviews
from US$ 120.20*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,290 Reviews
from US$ 110.50*
US$ 122.80
30 replies to this topic
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,837 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

In all honesty I wouldn't rely on that projected journey time knowing the route well. The first part of the journey will likely be on the A21, the second part on the M25, both of which can quite easily become blocked or congested at the best of times, even more-so during the morning peaks.

Ideally you need to be at Heathrow by 7am to check in for an international flight. I'm assuming you have a rental car which you need to drop off at the Heathrow depot prior to checking in for your flight, in which case that adds a further delay.

It's not a timescale I would be comfortable with, bearing in mind you have a long haul flight at stake.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
127 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

Totally agree with post 1

The joys of driving on Uk roads can vary from delightful to nightmarish.

Personally would settle the stress levels and stay the night before rather than sweating in some unforeseen traffic hold ups

Just the thought of being late for a flight let alone missing one worries me!

Edited: 21 October 2018, 00:16
London
Level Contributor
12,267 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

Attempting that would have my blood pressure off the scale. The chance of a huge snarl up on the motorway network is all too real. (By way of example. The M40, the motorway west of Heathrow, was completely closed for hours on end on three separate days last week following horrid accidents).

I'd be staying in a hotel at Heathrow the night before.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

Another vote not to risk it, unless there are more flights to your destination that day and you can transfer without additional cost.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,713 posts
449 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

No, please don’t think any more about this

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,416 posts
111 reviews
6. Re: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

An alternative would be to spend the night before your flight in Windsor, we really enjoyed our afternoon and evening there when we did that. I've stayed at a Heathrow area hotel a while back and vowed never to do it again.

Turn in your car (maybe even in Windsor) and the next morning take a car service to Heathrow, about 20-30 minutes, cost probably £25. We used Windsor Cars, 5 Star is also recommended on this forum.

We stayed at the Royal Adelaide Hotel, about a 15 minute walk from the Castle down the Long Walk and enjoyed a very nice dinner at this pub just a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

http://www.therealwindsorcastle.com/

A great way to spend your last night in the UK.

To add, I am way too risk averse to do what you are considering. You are essentially planning an unprotected connection with your flight to the US at risk.

Here is a TA article that discusses the same, albeit two plane connections.

https:/…Connecting.On.Separate.Tickets.html

Edited: 21 October 2018, 00:43
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

In your other post you were asking about visiting Port Isaac as well as Portsmouth and Rye, see https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186…

What is your proposed itinerary now?

You could stay in London and visit Portsmouth and Rye by train as day trips.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,416 posts
111 reviews
8. Re: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

<Our flight leaves for JFK from terminal 5 I think>

what airline are you flying on? You really need to know the departure terminal in advance.

or did you mean

< I think at 10:00 a.m on Thursday December 6.>

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,365 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

'I would just as soon stay in Rye and be on the road by 5:00 am.' Your views are your own, but I'd rather eat my own hand than do this.

'Neither one of us wants to stay at the airport.' There is little appeal to a stay at an airport hotel on the last night of one's holiday, but there is less appeal in having to buy new tickets for a flight to New York.

The Premier Inn T5 has rooms for £56 and can be accessed from T5 on the free local bus service; the 423 will take you there and back again. The PI T4 has a rate of £42, is a five minute walk via a covered walkway from T4, from which you can take transport to T5 or the 482 or 490 free of charge from a stop about a minute's walk from the hotel to T5 (I'd take the bus).

I'd rather have a good night's sleep without the need to get up at cracko and hare across southeast England and hope like hell there won't be problems en route. YMMV.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
64 reviews
10. Re: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?

"I would just as soon stay in Rye and be on the road by 5:00 am"

You need to leave at least an hour earlier than that.

Edited: 21 October 2018, 01:06
Reply to: Driving from Rye to Heathrow on morning of flight?Good idea?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted