We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending larger pound notes!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Spending larger pound notes!

Hi, first of all, I did use the Search box and came up empty. I saw a post a few weeks ago about the difficulty In using £50 in stores, restaurants etc. What about £100???

It's been 10 years since I was in London, back then we had Travelers Checks that we exchanged at the banks, received 50's and 100's and everyone took them. What's different now??? Thanks.

101 replies to this topic
cornwall uk
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Spending larger pound notes!

We dont have 100 notes in the UK, you wont have trouble spending 50 pound notes in london, unless its a small corner shop. Most restaurants wont give you much change from a 50 note in london anyway lol.

London
Level Contributor
12,350 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Spending larger pound notes!

Spending a £50 note is difficult. IAs for bigger notes - have genuinely never seen a £100 note. (And I'm nearly 60)

How old are your notes? Much of our currency has been replaced and many old notes are no longer legal tender - you'd need to go to the Bank of England if yours are affected.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,770 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Spending larger pound notes!

No such thing as a £100 note in England, only Scotland and I've never seen one of them in the whole 20 years I've lived here.

£50 notes aren't that common either and are unlikely to be welcomed for small purchases or in the smaller shops.

How about bringing a debit card, with Chip and PIN preferably, or a currency card? Don't bother with Travellers Cheques, they died out years ago when Noah felt a spot of rain

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
4. Re: Spending larger pound notes!

Highly unlikely you'll have received a £100 note in London seeing as the BoE doesn't issue one. Apparently the Scottish notes do have a £100, but I've been in the UK since 2005 and never seen one.

Even back in 2005, most shops didn't like accepting £50s, they'll take it but expect them to inspect them very closely before accepting.

Not sure what's changed but don't think it's a particularly practical sized note to use and for most small purchases, getting the change back isn't always easy especially nowadays when card usage is higher than cash.

My advice would be use a Forex fee free credit card if you can, and maybe get a few small notes for miscellaneous expenses with vendors who won't take cards (although that list is shrinking by the day).

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,561 posts
111 reviews
5. Re: Spending larger pound notes!

<What's different now??? >

Credit cards are accepted almost every where. On our recent trip we used them for close to 100% of our expenditures.

Bonus-we received the best rate of exchange using credit cards, better than debit cards at ATM machines and far better than exchanging cards.

Travelers checks are really a thing of the past.

Credit cards that do not charge a foreign exchange fee are best and contactless credit cards will really simplify purchases under £30. These can also be used on the buses and underground in London.

American Express and Capital One are two US companies I know of that issue them in the US.

London, United...
Level Contributor
728 posts
1 review
6. Re: Spending larger pound notes!

These are the current Bank of England notes:

https://youtu.be/QAk92Q5O3h0

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Spending larger pound notes!

Wow, I don't have any left from my last trip. Could have sworn you had 100's! So if the 50's are hard to cash....do you carry around wads of 20's??? Just so I don't get ATM suggestions.....We do not use them overseas, nor credit cards....no big bills to pay off when we come home :). I know, I know....old school, but it works for us.Suggestions, folks....do the banks or Post Offices break them with No funny looks??? Thank you.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Spending larger pound notes!

Could someone please check to see if there were 100's at least back in the early 80's??? Thanks.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,561 posts
111 reviews
9. Re: Spending larger pound notes!

Exchanging cash for ££ in the US you run the risk of receiving outdated bills, which will result in a trip to the Bank of England.

No credit card use?? Get a grip.

cornwall uk
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
77 reviews
10. Re: Spending larger pound notes!

Never seen one in my 60 yrs.

Reply to: Spending larger pound notes!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted