We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards

7 posts
Credit cards

I will be traveling to London and Paris and am not sure how much cash I should withdraw from the ATM? I want to use as little cash as possible and use my credit card everywhere that will accept it, but I know there might be some Places that don’t except credit cards, Such as using the bathroom I heard takes cash? Do most businesses like bakeries Etc. Accept credit cards. What are places that don’t?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,782 Reviews
from US$ 120.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,290 Reviews
from US$ 110.70*
US$ 123.10
23 replies to this topic
Dallas
Level Contributor
26,954 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: Credit cards

Where in the world have you heard that you must have cash to use the bathroom ?

There are very few places that won't accept a credit card. I am here for two weeks, and will probably not spend $200 in cash and that includes cash tips for housekeeping, taxi's and bell people. I carry about $400 with me and never spend it all, but just in case I need it.

Everything else goes on the credit cards.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,719 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Credit cards

Personally I would ask those who are on the Paris and London forums. This is the Honolulu forum which is a city in Hawaii!!

7 posts
3. Re: Credit cards

Not sure how I got on the Hawaii forrum other than it was my last trip. I thought I had switched it.

Level Contributor
289 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
4. Re: Credit cards

Hi Samantha A,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the Honolulu Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the London Forum.

Happy Travels!

TA_Nelma

TripAdvisor Community Moderator

Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Credit cards

#1 Sorry, you're wrong. You need cash to use most council operated public toilets, including some on railway stations in the UK these days.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,286 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Credit cards

You would need cash for toilets, probably market stalls, usually small purchases under a fiver.

I would get fifty pounds sterling on my first day and see how long it lasts.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,683 posts
447 reviews
7. Re: Credit cards

Some smaller businesses do put a minimum spend on cards in response to the charges they have pay to banks. As a working hypothesis assume anything over £5 is fine on cards, smaller amounts are OK in bigger businesses - I used Apple Pay for £1.80 earlier today in a supermarket.... how long are you in U.K. for? I’d start with £50 from an ATM and replenish as necessary or spend it at the end.

Ask your bank if they issue contactless cards, much easier here, for instance they make London Transport very easy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
561 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: Credit cards

£50 sounds like a good basis, you can always withdraw more if needed (there are atm's everywhere) most places accept card payments now it's just smaller shops and market stalls but you will need change if you need to use public toilets (prices vary between 20p and £1)

Hatfield, United...
Level Contributor
715 posts
132 reviews
9. Re: Credit cards

In London, most if not all, businesses accept credit cards if they are 'chip and pin' or 'contactless' enabled, but cash is good for small purchases. The minimum purchase referred to above was made illegal earlier this year.

As for "bathrooms" (which we tend to call the "loo" or the "toilet" - bathrooms being where you'd take a bath or shower) about the only ones you have to pay to use are those in places like bus/train stations. A polite request in places like pubs, restaurants etc will usually do the trick.

Slightly off topic, but here in the UK (and most of Western Europe) we don't have the same "tipping culture" like the US (we pay our staff!) so yes, by all means tip maids in Hotels (say £2-3 per day) and waiters in restaurants (10% of bill is usual if service has been good) in taxi's say the fare is £8 you might pay with a £10 note and say "keep the change" (but in London the traditional black cabs have contactless or chip and pin machines).If you do use an ATM, check what your bank charges for foreign transactions - it may be better to make one largeish withdrawl rather than several smaller ones.

Have a great trip.

Edited: 21 September 2018, 21:51
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,683 posts
447 reviews
10. Re: Credit cards

Post #9 - it has become illegal to charge extra for using a card rather than cash - but there is NO restriction on setting a minimum transaction limit https:/…

Reply to: Credit cards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted