We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trump protests

Gilmer, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Trump protests

Just read about the massive demonstrations planned from June12-14...the exact 3 days we will be there. Too late to change all of our reservations and all of our pre-booked tours and attraction tickets so how bad is it going to be? Will the streets all be closed off? Will places like Westminister just close? I live in a small town and just navigating a city on a normal day is a challenge for me! Any advice (except stay home) and information for a concerned traveler would be appreciated.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,576 Reviews
from US$ 119.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
736 Reviews
from US$ 107.80*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,221 Reviews
from US$ 122.00*
53 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trump protests

June?

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trump protests

We have protests in NYC re Trump etc all the time. Nothing shuts down other than a street and tourists are not affected, other than the hopefully inspiring sight of a march. You will have a womderful time. We loved London.

Edited: 10 July 2018, 05:02
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
California
Level Contributor
503 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trump protests

I'm in London at the moment and it's so busy and crowded here without protests. I was here during Pride parade and yes, many streets closed but if you don't drive, don't worry. You just take underground and expect pack of people.

1. Get an oyster card (I got it through a machine at an Underground station, cost $5)

2. add fund for 3 days you are here (zone 1-3 is enough)

I got a local sim so I have data to use google as I need help for direction and stations (data won't work underground so do it before you enter Underground)

Every station has map of train stops so pretty easy to use.

I don't expect anything close during those days but I am not a local so I don't know for sure.

If you stay in Westminster area, take underground and walk, you will be ok.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Westminster
Westminster
4,382 Reviews
London, UK
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,093 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trump protests

Just read about the massive demonstrations planned from June12-14...the exact 3 days we will be there.

<< Presumably that's meant to be July 12-14. >>

Too late to change all of our reservations and all of our pre-booked tours and attraction tickets so how bad is it going to be?

<< What's already booked on the specific dates and from where are you starting each day (area of your accommodation)? We can help you plan the best way to make your days work. >>

Will the streets all be closed off?

<< Some. Depending on what's planned. Buses may be delayed or diverted but the tube should be OK. Not sure if there's still a partial tube strike due (I've haven't had Internet connection for a couple of days). >>

Will places like Westminister just close?

<< The City of Westminster is pretty big. Unless you're in the actual area you may not notice any protests are going on. >>

Mentioned in this post
Westminster
Westminster
4,382 Reviews
London, UK
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trump protests

Go see the baby Trump balloon. That will be a hoot

Gilmer, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trump protests

July...sorry!

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,265 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trump protests

Will Boris be there?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trump protests

He has some free time

Gilmer, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trump protests

Thanks....you are probably going to tell me I have too much booked but here goes....

Staying at Amba Hotel Marble Arch

Thursday afternoon (arriving that morning). British Museum

Friday. We have a one day London pass as part of our package. Planning to be at Tower of London by 9:00 am traveling by tube. Next Westminister Abbey (using HoHo bus). Lunch then ride HOHO bus entire route just to sightsee, maybe get off a couple of times if we have time. Get off at Churchill War Room (planning to be there about 4:30. then go to the top of the Shard, eat dinner, and collapse.

Friday 9:00 St. Paul’s Cathedral, 11:15 Kensington Palace for tour. After that lunch, perhaps shopping then we pick up a rental car at Paddiington Station around 4:00 and head for Salisbury. To complicate this a little, one of our traveling companions (4 total) is slightly disabled so walking long distances is not something he can do.

Thank you for offering to help me!

Mentioned in this post
Amba Hotel Marble Arch
Amba Hotel Marble Arch
2,213 Reviews
London, UK
The British Museum
The British Museum
62,971 Reviews
London, UK
The London Pass
The London Pass
538 Reviews
London, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
55,614 Reviews
London, UK
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
575 Reviews
London, UK
Kensington Palace
Kensington Palace
4,620 Reviews
London, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trump protests

There will be travel disruption and some of it will affect tourists, but it isn’t all down to anti-Trump sentiments.

There is a planned strike by drivers on the Tube (Piccadilly line only) from late evening on 11th July to the early morning of 14th July. Transport for London has advised people not to use the Piccadilly line after 10pm on 11th July. On the upside, England are playing Croatia in the World Cup semi-finals on 11th July, with a 7pm kick-off. The streets, shops and transport in London will probably be almost deserted from about 6pm until the match is over. Pubs showing the match will be packed and celebrations will spill over into the streets if England win.

There will be no night service on the Piccadilly Line on 13th July until services recommence at 7:30 the following morning. Assuming the strike goes ahead, alternative Tube routes will be rather busier and so will the Tube station interchanges at Finsbury Park, King's Cross St Pancras, Green Park and Hammersmith.

There will be more buses running to help the situation, but those are also likely to be busier, especially at peak times.

Heathrow passengers are advised to use TfL Rail and Heathrow Express services to and from Paddington station while the tube strike is on and to purchase tickets in advance. Those routes will also be busier.

The main anti-Trump rally will be on the afternoon of 13th July, with a guesstimate of 50,000 people attending (but anyone’s guess really). Protesters will be assembling outside the BBC building in Portland Place at around 2pm and then marching down Oxford Circus and Regent Street to Trafalgar Square before theoretically dissipating around 7pm. There will be road closures in those areas for crowd management purposes as well as traffic management.

Since the tennis is currently on at Wimbledon and there are concerts in Hyde Park over the weekend, some other transport services will be busy too.

It's not quite a "perfect storm" but there's quite a lot going on, so you may experience some delays in getting to where you want to be.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
England
England
United Kingdom
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Finsbury Park
Finsbury Park