We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in London before cruise

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Day in London before cruise

We will be arriving in Terminal 3, LHR on Thursday, July 25th at 9:15 am. We have hotel reservations at the Holiday Inn Heathrow Ariel. Our plan is to go to the hotel upon arrival and hopefully get an early check-in. I have inquired with the hotel about early check-in and was told to check the day prior to the trip. If early check-in isn't available we plan to leave our luggage at the desk and head into London for the day. We leave on a cruise out of Southampton the next afternoon. They hotel says they have transportation from the airport to the hotel so I think that is taken care of; however, I am confused about taking a train (is that the tube...the underground?) or a bus into London. Should we get a ticket in advance...purchase an Oyster card? We have found great suggestions for walking tours we can take on our own while in the city so that is what we plan to do while there but we are just confused on how to get there. Also, what is recommended to get us to the Southampton port on Friday for the cruise. Should we go back to LHR and get transportation from there or try to find something from the hotel. We will be two couples with quite a bit of luggage.Thanks for help/suggestions.

13 replies to this topic
New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,976 posts
110 reviews
1. Re: Day in London before cruise

Why not stay in Central London, perhaps near Waterloo Station where there are frequent departures to Southampton.

Staying at Heathrow, you will spend at least a couple of hours, maybe more traveling back and forth.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,329 posts
441 reviews
2. Re: Day in London before cruise

Much better to cancel the hotel and travel into the city and stay near Waterloo where you can get the train to Southampton the next day.

This is well reviewed https:/…london-county-hall.html

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Day in London before cruise

You would be far better to cancel your reservation at the Ariel and book a hotel in central London, close to Waterloo Station from where you can get a train directly to Southampton. I can’t see any benefit in staying out at the airport.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,976 posts
110 reviews
4. Re: Day in London before cruise

Lots of information on transport to Southampton here

https:/…southampton_london_transfers.htm

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,976 posts
110 reviews
5. Re: Day in London before cruise

Well, that’s 3-0 for accommodation near Waterloo Station.

How many people and what is your budget for the hotel that night?

£100=$135 more or less at the moment

Edited: 11 June 2018, 21:50
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Day in London before cruise

Well...unfortunately I guess I should have posted this prior to booking a non-refundable room at the airport. We have never been to London and were thinking it would be best to be near the airport for the transfer to Southampton the next day. Sounds like not a good plan but what we are going to have to go with now. Suggestions are to take a train from Waterloo station to Southampton for the cruise but wouldn't that be a hassle with all of our luggage?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,302 posts
217 reviews
7. Re: Day in London before cruise

Personally, I’d bite the bullet and book a budget hotel near Waterloo and try not to think about the lost cost of the airport hotel.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,329 posts
441 reviews
8. Re: Day in London before cruise

Again bite the bullet, an hotel near Heathrow presents you with getting on for 90 minutes each way into central London-you have to go back to Heathrow to get practical public transport (the Tube) Buses take too long and Taxis back and forth might cost more than your room! The trip back out later on day one, probably with jet leg, is to be avoided. The cost of the hotel booking versus the cost of the flight and the Cruise is probably worth writing off. (And You’ll save money not sitting on trains to and fro.!)

Yes, train from London Waterloo to Southampton Central, is fast, simple and economic (probably an hour faster than a car) you’ll want a taxi from the station to the cruise terminal - less than £10. www.nationalrail.co.uk

Edited: 11 June 2018, 22:36
New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,976 posts
110 reviews
9. Re: Day in London before cruise

Here again is the link I posted in #4.

https:/…southampton_london_transfers.htm

There are options to travel directly from Heathrow to Southampton.

1. Railair bus to Reading and then the train.

https:/…rail_air-bus-links

2. National Express Coach/Bus

https:/…southampton_national_express.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
110 reviews
10. Re: Day in London before cruise

May be Holiday Inn can help you out? May be allow you to choose another Holiday Inn hotel in Central London. I guess it is up to their goodwill....

Edited: 11 June 2018, 22:53
Reply to: Day in London before cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted