We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit timing for Heathrow Airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Transit timing for Heathrow Airport

Hi,

I booked a direct flight to Rome From Singapore via Hearthrow directly on BA website.

Wondering if 1 hour and 10 mins (hoping no delay to my flight from singapore is enough to get through transit/custom? I guess i'm very likely to be running from one plane to another.

Do I clear immigration in UK or in Rome?

Both planes are BA and Terminal 5

Land in Heathrow from Singapore 0550

Flight to Rome from Heathrow 0700

Thank you

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,675 Reviews
from US$ 123.20*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,250 Reviews
from US$ 125.90*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
747 Reviews
from US$ 103.10*
4 replies to this topic
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit timing for Heathrow Airport

You need to book a seat near an exit, preferrably the front, to make sure you get off quickly. Look for signs marked 'international transfers' - you won't leave airside during this transfer so no immigration etc. And dont' dawdle :)

BA have booked both tickets, so they are responsible for getting you to Rome if the first flight is delayed.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 10:34
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,892 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit timing for Heathrow Airport

Have you booked a through ticket? Do you have a single PNR (passenger name record, aka locator code or confirmation number) for the flight, and at the Manage My Booking page at the BA website does it show as SIN-LHR-FCO?

If you have a true through ticket then you will have a protected connection. However, you've booked flights with the minimum connection time with the flight from SIN scheduled to arrive at a busy time of day. There is no guarantee your flight will park on stand by 0600, and after disembarking you will have a brisk 10 minute walk to Flight Connections in the main terminal building.

Your flight to FCO will depart from an A gate in the main terminal building. With a through ticket you will not go through the UK border but will go through Security at T5 Flight Connections before going to the gate. If you don't present to Security at Flight Connections by 0625 you'll be automatically offloaded and will have to work with BA to find a seat on the next available flight to Rome. Ideally you'll make the flight, though.

BA12 is scheduled to operate with a 388 - try to book a seat so you won't be among the last off the plane, and yes, you'll need to move quickly after disembarking.

You'll find a video about connecting in the IFE on board; look under the Your Journey link.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit timing for Heathrow Airport

@romancitizen: Thanks, hopefully no delay and plenty of rushing. Otherwise will delay my plans once i'm in Rome. Just really worried about the tight connection timing.

@Travellerplus: yes, mine is a through ticket. SIN-LHR-FCO. There is a change of plan at LHR so i'm checking if its possible. I would suppose it is, otherwise they wouldnt offer me this option during booking. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the videos and tips, 0625 sounds really rushing.

BA0012 from SIN-LHR

BA0552 from LHR-FCO

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,060 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit timing for Heathrow Airport

I would be happy with this connection. BA is responsible for getting you to your destination if you are delayed, and this is not the only flight of the day from Heathrow to Rome so there are other possibilities.

I will state the usual disclaimer that you will be put on the next flight with a seat available - but add that in my experience I have never taken a flight between Heathrow and a European direction - or vice-versa - that did not have a few seats free.

Reply to: Transit timing for Heathrow Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted