We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing planes at Heathrow

Tennessee
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
Changing planes at Heathrow

Flying BA from Nashville to Heathrow in July; then have layover of 3.5 hr before flying BA to Lyon France.

Will we go through customs/immigration at Heathrow, as is done entering USA, and again at Lyon?

Will we have to change terminals at Heathrow?

Apologizies if this type question has recently been asked....Search did not help me.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,731 Reviews
from US$ 122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,271 Reviews
from US$ 125.00*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
770 Reviews
from US$ 102.40*
7 replies to this topic
New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,018 posts
110 reviews
1. Re: Changing planes at Heathrow

Different than in the US.

If your flights are a true connection on one ticket, you will not have to go through immigration and customs at Heathrow as long as any luggage is checked through to Lyon.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,018 posts
110 reviews
2. Re: Changing planes at Heathrow

Today's flight from Nashville to London landed at Terminal 5.

https:/…ba222-nashville-bna

And this BA flight to Lyon departed departed from Terminal 3.

https:/…ba362-lyon-lys

What are your dates and flight numbers?

There is free airside transport between terminals (you can't go from T5 to T3 on foot). Just follow the purple flight connections signs, there will be a number of staff on hand to assist.

You can see a step by step guide here:

https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

Edited: 10 June 2018, 23:52
New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,018 posts
110 reviews
3. Re: Changing planes at Heathrow

Using the above flight numbers for today, Sunday June 10th, here is the detail

https:/…6A

Hatfield, United...
Level Contributor
610 posts
131 reviews
4. Re: Changing planes at Heathrow

Is it a through ticket or two separate ones?

If it's a through ticket, look for "flight connections" signs.

The whole process takes about 90 minutes including the bus from T5 to T3.

If you look at www.heathrow.com/flightconnections you'll find a "personal connection planner" which will guide you through the process if you input your inbound and outbound flight number/departure place/arrival place. As you're not technically entering the UK customs/Immigration will be in Lyon.

If it's two separate tickets then you get off the flight from Nashville in T5, collect your bags, go through Customs/Immigration, transfer to T3, 20 mins (using shuttle train - free, but you have to get a ticket from the machine), check in (if you haven't done it online) or bag drop, security, Immigration into departure lounge.

Three and a half hours could be tight if there's any delay with your inbound flight and/or long lines at Immigration inbound or Security checks outbound or if you're not already checked in.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Changing planes at Heathrow

WONDERFUL INFO from you all! Cannot thank you enough! I had only AA# & not the BA#. Was looking for the terminals on the Heathrow website, but the AA# did not pop up. Our flight arrangements made by Viking Cruises and because we deviated (in order to see more of France on our own) from their normal arrival date & departure date, we will not be using their transfers. July 17 is our arrival to Heathrow, as well as flight to Lyon.

I believe the 2 locations are in 1 ticket.

London
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: Changing planes at Heathrow

Do double and triple check that Viking have booked you in a single ticket. If they have, excellent, you just follow signs for 'flight connections' and don't see your bags until Lyon.

But if (hope not) it's separate tickets, you'll need to clear UK immigration, collect bags and re check in. BA will NOT through check on separate tickets, even if both flights are BA.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
200 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Changing planes at Heathrow

I will definitely check with Viking & AmerAirlines....

I am doing the planning not only for me & hubby, but also for 2 other couples who have not been to Europe!!

I am their travel guide for this trip!! (More like their private unpaid travel agent! LOL} However I want to know WHERE I am going -- language differences are enough to figure out!!

Reply to: Changing planes at Heathrow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted