We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Travelcard

3 posts
Save Topic
London Travelcard

My wife and I are visiting London the last week of July. We are arriving at Heathrow and staying at St James Court, a Taj Hotel, I plan to purchase two 7 day London Travelcard passes for zones 1 and 2. Since Heathrow is in zone 6, should I purchase an oyster card when I arrive at Heathrow so that I can take the tube from the airport to my hotel? How much should I put on an oyster card? I need to cover two people for both arrival and departure.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel
St. James' Court, A Taj...
3,963 Reviews
London, UK
3 replies to this topic
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,496 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Travelcard

Are you wanting to avail yourself to 2-4-1 offers? If not just add the 1-2 zone travelcard to each oystercard and £10 extra pay as you go to cover your journey from heathrow to zone 2.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Travelcard

I just spent the week in London, I think you would be better off with a pay as you go Oyster card unless you are planning to use the attraction discounts that are associated with the travel card. Maybe start with 30 pounds on each cardand top up as you go? I spent about 23 pounds for 4 days of constant travel including 2 trips to the airport (Heathrow).

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London Underground
London Underground
30,895 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,960 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Travelcard

'I think you would be better off with a pay as you go Oyster card' That will cost more than a seven day Travelcard. Since the daily cap for travel in zones 1 and 2 is £6.80 there would be the potential for a spend of £47.60 versus the seven day card for zones 1 and 2 at £34.10.

richt's suggestion is the one I'd use. If your trips from and to Heathrow will be during off peak travel times then an extra £5 of PAYG money added to each Oyster card should be sufficient to cover the excess fares.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London Underground
London Underground
30,895 Reviews
London, UK
Reply to: London Travelcard
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;