We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport confusion

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Transport confusion

Hi ,

My family and I are going to London in early July for 5 days. There are 5 of us, a17 year old and 12 year old twins. We will be going to Harry Potter Studios one day and I’ve booked return train tickets for that. We are also traveling onto Brighton for a couple of days and I’ve booked the train for that too. We’re just wondering whether to get daily travel cards or Oyster cards? Confused about the difference to be honest. It’s zones 1 & 2 we’ll be using and we plan to do the hop on hop off bus tour on our first day, as kids want to do that. Any suggestions please? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter
Warner Bros. Studio Tour...
35,075 Reviews
Leavesden, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
5 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport confusion

1 day paper travel cards are generally a poor value. certainly buying them on several separate days.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,716 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport confusion

Just use Oystercards loaded with cash - or contactless debit / credit cards, Apple or Android Pay. One card / device per person

It's probably worth it to get the 12 yr olds Oystercards as they can get a child discount.

There was no need to book train tickets to Watford Junction as you can use Oystercards etc on that route

Mentioned in this post
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport confusion

Ah sugar, really? Should’ve asked before I booked the train tickets! So much for all my research. It can be very confusing though. We got return train tickets for all 5 of us for £46,which I thought wasn’t too bad. Think we’ll use contactless for the 3 adults, including my 17 year old here, and get child Oyster cards for the twins. Sound ok? Thanks

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,184 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport confusion

<get child Oyster cards for the twins. >

You get regular Oyster cards (£5 refundable deposit) and get a staff member to apply the Young Visitor discount.

https:/…travelling-with-children

<>Young Visitor discount

If you're visiting London and travelling with children aged 11 to 15 who haven't got a Zip Oyster photocard, you can still benefit from reduced rate travel for them. You can get a discount set on an Oyster or Visitor Oyster card that will allow them to pay as you go at half adult-rate for up to 14 days.

This discount is called the Young Visitor discount and can be set by a member of staff at:

Any Tube station

TfL Rail station ticket offices

Visitor Centres (except Gatwick Airport South Terminal)

Victoria National Rail station ticket office

You and your child must be together when asking for the Young Visitor discount to be set.

You don't need proof of age or identity, but you might be asked to confirm the child's age. One adult can get the Young Visitor discount set for up to four children.<>

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London Underground
London Underground
32,860 Reviews
London, UK
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
107 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport confusion

Thank you , very helpful information. Should be able to get those when we arrive so.

Reply to: Transport confusion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted