We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

Hi

We are going to be in London for a little more than 2 weeks from mid June..

We were planning a day trip to Brighton. Thanks to the previous TA posts I figured out the 'super off peak' travel card.

I wanted to know if I can purchase this card directly at the station. (we are living close to Kensal Green Station)

or

Is this offer only valid for online purchases.

Does the price of the card remain constant or does it increase if purchased on the same day?

We wanted some flexibility in terms of days and timings , as we are travelling with parents and lo.

In addition we are planning trips to Diggreland Kent, Paulton peppa pig, Isle of wight and Leeds castle.

Is there any other card that will benefit us in our travel?

Many Thanks

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Kent
Kent
England, UK
Isle of Wight
Isle of Wight
England, UK
Leeds Castle
Leeds Castle
3,973 Reviews
Maidstone, UK
19 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

A travelcard won't be valid for travel to the places you mentioned as it only covers the London area for travel on the buses, tube etc. Or are you asking about super off peak return train tickets?

Edited: 08 June 2018, 00:33
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,106 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

For Brighton, I think you need a super off peak day return ticket, though I'm not familiar with the weekday time restrioctions out of London.

This ticket is not a Travelcard, which is a product which is largely valid in the London travel area only.

So, as Elmers has said, a Travelcard is not going to help you with any of your other trips, either.

A railcard might save you money. How many are there in your party, and what ages are they please?

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
London
London
England, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

The OP is travelling with parents and a 4yo child who can travel for free as they are aged under 5.

https:/…92360566

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
67,106 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

Thanks for the link. Do you think that a Friends and Family or Network railcard would be worth looking into?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

"For Brighton, I think you need a super off peak day return ticket, though I'm not familiar with the weekday time restrioctions out of London"

YES, I was talking about these super off peak day return ticket, how do I find out the time restrictions on it?

also can i buy them on the same day?

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
London
London
England, UK
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…num3

ok i am confused again...Is this fare of £32 for all 4adults

when I click on buy it takes me to Thameslink website and i cannot find the option there??

I am trying to figure out the family and friends card too as Rojblake has suggested

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,622 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

The Family and Friends says you must have a child of 5 or above in your group.

OP, you could look at railcards you are eligible for, like 2 Together, and Senior Railcards, but why spend the money when you can achieve the same savings with Groupsave? 1/3 off all off-peak tickets for groups of 3-9. No Railcard needed.

In that case, your entire group could get a day return to Brighton for £32.20. The system applies it automatically.

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…arr

Edited: 08 June 2018, 09:27
Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

thanks LauraRW... checked that option , it looks like my best option.....

Will be going for it.

Can these group discount tickets be purchased at Kensal Green station or any other station?

Also can i avail the 2 4 1 discounts using these tickets

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,622 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

2-4-1: the day you buy them, yes, you can use them, but they are mostly for attractions in London. (with some exceptions)

Just buy they tickets at the station you will depart from.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore

Kendal Green station is operated by Lobdon Overground so the tickets purchased there probably won't be issued with the national rail logo on them which is what is needed for the 2for1 offers.

You should have a means of paying fares to travel around London, oyster travelcards etc so use those to travel to the station from where you will travel to Brighton etc and buy the tickets there. The super off peak return tickets will be available to buy on the day, if you wish you can buy them the day before, but make sure they are dated correctly before leaving the ticket office.

Mentioned in this post
Kendal
Kendal
Lake District, UK
London
London
England, UK
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Reply to: Super off peak Travel card confusion galore
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted