We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon

New York City, New...
9 posts
Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon

My family group (10 of us) will be arriving at Gatwick at 11:16 on a Saturday, and from what I've been reading in the forums, it seems the train into London is the best way to go. I was trying to figure out if I should buy tickets ahead of time for the Gatwick Express, but then read that if you arrive on the weekend it is better to take a different train? Thameslink or Southern? Victoria Station and St Pancras seem about the same distance, more or less, from our hotel.

We'll be staying in Soho near Prince Edward Theatre; we are okay with taking (a number of) cabs from the train station to where we'll be staying, but I wanted to see if I should be buying train tickets ahead of time, or if I'm okay doing that at the airport. Also, do I take the Gatwick Express or not?

Thanks for any help!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,730 Reviews
from US$ 122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,269 Reviews
from US$ 125.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
766 Reviews
from US$ 102.40*
8 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,348 posts
441 reviews
1. Re: Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon

No gain to buy in advance. Buy on arrival taking a Southern train to Victoria, 3-4 minutes (only) slower than Gatwick Express but much cheaper and a shorter ride than going to St Pancras (that service is currently struggling with a new timetable anyway). You can pay for that trainon Oyster if you have them?

Are these 10 adults (age 16+) or some children?

Edited: 06 June 2018, 11:19
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
10,565 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon

Just pay on arrival, as mentioned the southern service is good and cheaper.

Use oyster or contactless bank card 👌🏽

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon

With a group of 10 you will qualify for the groupsave discount. How many adults and children are there (ages)?

It should be cheaper to get paper tickets with the combined one day travelcard so you can then travel on the buses and tube in London until 04.29 on the Sunday morning.

How long will you be in London for and what plans do you have, any travel outside of the London area?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,722 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon

According to your other post on the forum there are 8 adult fare paying passengers and 2 children, ages not known but if they are aged 5-15 then they will need tickets.

The national rail planner only allows for a total of 8 persons when checking fares but to give you an idea of the cost for the travelcards 4 adults and 1 child will cost £53.75 to use the Southern services to Victoria then the tube and buses for the rest of the day (6 adults plus 2 children will cost £84.90) to get the groupsave tickets it will be best to go to the railway station ticket office and speak to the member of staff there.

Using oyster will cost each adult £8.30 just to get to Victoria, then there will be extra charges for any extra travel up to a daily cap of £19.90, children half price when the Young Persons Discount is added to the oyster cards.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
94 reviews
5. Re: Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon

Victoria Station on Thameslink, which is the same company as Southern, and much less than Gatwick Express. May be standing room only though on a Saturday afternoon. Express would be less crowded.

New York City, New...
9 posts
6. Re: Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon

One child is nine and the other is one; the rest of the group is adults and teens (17 and 18).

For most of the group, it's their first time in London, so our plans are to see the big tourist attractions first--parliament building/Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, Buckingham palace, National Gallery. That and the British Museum we'll be spreading over the first three days, then going to Windsor the day after that. Then we plan an evening train to Paris. We left the daytime of the travel day open in case we miss something and want to catch it before moving on.

New York City, New...
9 posts
7. Re: Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon

Also, will everyone need their own oyster card while traveling in London, or is it more like a cash value that dwindles down as you use it (so multiple people use the same cards)?

London
Level Contributor
12,134 posts
68 reviews
8. Re: Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon

Each adult needs their own payment method - you cannot pay for multiple travellers with a single card.

Reply to: Gatwick to Soho on a Saturday afternoon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted