We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable London itinerary?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable London itinerary?

I know that over the next few weeks, many will post itineraries for you to peruse, so I thought I would get mine in there. I've been tweaking it for months as new thoughts came to light. I post this keeping in mind that itineraries are made to be altered and that I will not be able to see all that I want to see in only six full days:

Sat. June 16 (arrival night before, staying at Renaissance CC)

Stroll down to the Mall area to see part of the Trooping the Colour processional

Walk around (it's our first time!) - maybe Covent Garden or up to Camden Lock Market

Spamalot (thought about eating at Rock and Sole Plaice en route)

Sunday

The Magical Mystery Walk from Tottenham Court station 10:55 am

British Museum

dinner at the Museum Tavern or Belgo Centraal perhaps?

Monday (moving to Royal Horseguards at some point today)

British Library in the am

Westminster Abbey - verger tour 2:30 pm

Considering a London Walks tour: Along the Thames or Westminster by Gaslamp

Tuesday

Hampton Court Palace Day!

(Maybe the London Eye in the am first.)

When back from HCP, if not exhausted, consider the Cabinet War Rooms or St. Paul's or the Globe or simply strolling...

Wicked - maybe eat at Jenny Lo's before?

Wednesday

Oxford Day - not sure whether to do on our own via Oxford Tube or go with the London Walks tour

National Gallery stays open late - peak at Sunflowers, etc.?

Ceremony of the Keys

Thursday

Tower of London

Midsummer Night's Dream at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre

Caledonian Sleeper to Fort William from Euston Station that pm

I haven't made restaurants a big part of our itinerary. I've made a note of where interesting pubs, etc. are located so that we can visit them if in the area at mealtime. Don't care much about shopping but a market would be fun.

Am open to any and all suggestions. Thank you so much!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable London itinerary?

Oh, on Thursday MND is the matinee at 2:30 - hope this isn't crowding our visit to Tower of London too much. Am planning on being there when it opens at 9am...

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable London itinerary?

Sorry, I meant PEEK at Sunflowers!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,730 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable London itinerary?

Covent garden is worth a couple of strolls - you could do another after Belgos.

If "CC" is Chancery Court (?), then you could walk through Covent Garden to the Mall.

Why are you moving hotel, if you don't mind me asking? Seems like hassle in a short week.

Don't forget your luggage on transfer days, eg Thursday. Where will you store it? Possibly Euston would be good, but then you go to Tower. Not a big issue - just something to bear in mind.

Enjoy

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,856 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable London itinerary?

No major faux-pas that I can see and it looks like you are keeping things fairly flexible and that you are aware that you can't do too much in any one day!

A couple of thoughts...on your first full day I would be tempted to hang around Covent Garden (possibly popping into the National Gallery on the way) for the afternoon as Camden is rather out of the way. You could also wander back to the hotel from Covent Garden for a quick power nap should you need it. If you were awake early that morning you could consider nipping on the Central Line to Notting Hill Gate and wandering around Portobello Road market before it gets too busy.

Tuesday - I think The Eye and Hampton Court will be more than enough especially if the weather is good and you use the time at Hampton Court to explore the Gardens as well as the House.

One last thing: Have you found somewhere to leave your luggage on Thursday whilst you are out and about? I think you will have time to go back to your hotel should they be willing to look after it. If not Euston station has (expensive) facilities located on the concourse between platforms 16 & 18.

Hope that helps a little.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable London itinerary?

I agree with Adam about Tuesday. Despite your energy level, I don't think you will have enough time between HCP and going to dinner & the theatre. We usually try to get to our hotel around 4pm to change for dinner & theatre. Also, the Eye doesn't open until 10pm. HCP also opens at 10. I would recommend heading to HCP around 9 being there when it opens. Head back to London around 2, hit the Eye, and then head back to your hotel to get ready for you evening out.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable London itinerary?

I'm making a note of these great suggestions!

Will probably ask RH to keep luggage for me. - Since the train journey is late, I believe I'll have time to go get it after the play.

I'm changing hotels because I got a really good deal for three days with one and then three days for the other (tried to extend both at same price but no deal). I do regret the hassle of moving but am willing to in order to get such good deals at these two really neat hotels...

Walt Disney World...
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable London itinerary?

Your itinerary looks pretty good , but London Eye does not open til 10 am so not sure if you will have time if you are doing on the same day as Hampton Court Palace.

For the Ceremony of the keys, have you written to them yet for your tickets? This ceremony is pretty limited to the number of people allowed each night. But it is a wonderful thing to see, so I would try and get the tickets.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable London itinerary?

Tickets in hand! I also have already booked the shows.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
839 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable London itinerary?

Also, I'll remove the Eye from the am before HCP and fit it in someplace else - over into the "play it by ear" category. Thanks to both of you for making that suggestion. I agree, it gives me too late of a start for my trip to HCP.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonable London itinerary?

Not sure if this would interest you, but the Royal Mews is only open for part of the year, therefore you might want to take advantage.

Also, be sure to leave plenty of time for simple strolls through the parks. They can provide refreshing breaks when the crowds/traffic get to be too much.