We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canning or Wembley?

Warsaw
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Canning or Wembley?

Hi,

I am going to visit London for a week or two - with my wife. We are looking for some budget hotel. I found Ibis Wembley and for the same price Express by Holiday Inn LONDON ROYAL DOCKS-DOCKLANDS.

I read comments for both hotels, but I am not sure which localisation is better? Where is more to do in the evening, or which place is safer? Am I sure that it is closer to London Center from Express by HI? One more question - does 7-day travel card is valid also for DLR?

Thanks in advane,

Marcin

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$ 124.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$ 103.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$ 147.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$ 99.50*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,564 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canning or Wembley?

Neither hotel is very central, to be honest. The HI Docklands is close to the ExCel exhibition centre but nothing else, and there is very little to do in the area after the end of the working day. Getting from the Ibis to Wembley Central, the nearest Tube station, would be a long walk or a short bus ride; the DLR isn't far from the HI Royal Docks, just a short walk. Choosing the hotel really depends on how much travel time you think you can deal with, before it starts to get tiresome.

All Travelcards include DLR services as part of the scheme, so you can use them as much as you wish on the DLR trains.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,962 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canning or Wembley?

I think TP has summed things up well but I would add that you have more eating options in Wembley, especially if you like ethnic food, and a greater choice of transport options. In addition to the Bakerloo Line from Wembley Central (10 minutes max from the hotel) there are the Jubilee and Metropolitan Lines from Wembley Park. The Ibis to Wembley is a 12-15 minute (mainly downhill) walk and there are a couple of bus routes. The Met line takes just 10 minutes to reach Baker Street from where you can be pretty much anywhere in tourist London in half an hour by bus, tube or foot.

Right next to the Ibis is the Wembley Stadium rail station (two trains an hour to Marylebone) but Oyster isn't accepted on this line unless you have a paper travelcard issued by British Rail (the crows foot logo will tell you if this is the case) valid for zones 1-4.

Warsaw
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canning or Wembley?

Hi,

Thanks for your posts. I know that both hotels are far from London, but every hotel in the City is very expensive. I wonder, which hotel would you choose?

Maybe do you know any better hotel, B&B closer to the City with price around 50-60GBP (FYI I am going to London in Aug). I found some, but after reading some post I wouldn't sleep at any of them...

Regards,

Marcin

ps. I invite you to Poland for Euro2012 :)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,564 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canning or Wembley?

There are modest hotels near King's Cross station, and a few on Gower Street in Bloomsbury that may be able to offer you a room for two at a decent price.

Have a look at the Hotel California, the Montana Excel, the Jesmond Dene, the Hotel Meridiana, the Alhambra and the Euro Hotel - all near King's Cross, with excellent bus and Tube connections to much of London. Rooms may be ensuite or have the shower and WC down the hall, so the prices will vary.

Acceptable Gower Street hotels include the Arosfa, Cavendish, Ridgemount, Arran House and Regency House Hotels. Like the oithers, they are refurbished buildings, so most of them won't have elevators, but they offer clean and comfortable rooms, and most rates will include a full breakfast.

Warszawa looks like a beautiful city - I am working my way east through Europe and hope to visit Poland someday.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canning or Wembley?

Look at Travelodge.co.uk. They have many rooms listed in Marylebone, Kings Cross, Battersea for £49 a night.

Do your searches on single nights and you will tap in to the best rates.

It's cheap and cheerful but generally clean and sufficient for most needs.

London
Level Contributor
450 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canning or Wembley?

I would second the others' opinion about the hotels. There are many central hotels at £50-60 mark. I would recommend trying www.travelsupermarket.com, which is an excellent comparison site.

7. Re: Canning or Wembley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 08:47