We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental help from Bankside

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
49 reviews
Car rental help from Bankside

Hi

We’re after some car rental advice for our family of four. We will be staying in Bankside, London and travelling to Hastings for two nights, then on to Portsmouth for one night and then on to Southampton Cruise Terminal.

Where is the best place to pick up the rental car?

I am thinking to avoid congestion/tolls etc would be helpful, if at all possible...

We plan to leave on a Wednesday morning.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,733 Reviews
from US$ 122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,271 Reviews
from US$ 125.00*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
770 Reviews
from US$ 102.40*
3 replies to this topic
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,332 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Car rental help from Bankside

If this was me, I’d get the train from London Bridge to Uckfield; it’s a lovely route, and very quiet off peak - just avoid 4-7pm. Enterprise at Uckfield are very friendly, and will meet you at the station. You can either take main roads to Hastings from there, or head across country.

Mike

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
338 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Car rental help from Bankside

Thanks for that option - Looking at the train costs, it is cheaper to take the train all the way to Hastings, than to Uckfield.

paris london
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Car rental help from Bankside

If you only have the three stops, it would be simpler and probably cheaper to take the train all the way, as there is very little distance between your stops.

If you hire a car you will have to factor in urban parking costs at all stops, which will not be cheap.

Perversely, it is much easier (in terms of avoiding inner London driving) to drive to the south of London from north London than from south London.

Reply to: Car rental help from Bankside
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted