We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landing at midnight

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Landing at midnight

Hi,

I'll be arriving tomorrow around midnight to John Lennon airport. I've checked Arriva and there are no buses leaving after that hour. Is taxi my only option to go to the city center?

Thanks in advance

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Landing at midnight

in a short simple answer, YES

you say landing at midnight, then there's clearing customs etc

taking into account the time of your arrival, a taxi (should be plenty outside) would be your only option for travel onwards to youur hotel

What hotel are you heading to ???

btw,

as your landing after midnight, I suppose you will be into Good Friday, therefore a taxi may charge you a extra for the bank holiday rate (sorry)

Edited: 04 April 2012, 16:59
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,923 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Landing at midnight

Check with National Express coaches.

There is a coach that arrives from Manchester into JLA at 00.59am due into Liverpool at 1.20am.

I think it only drops off passengers as it doesn't show on their website that it picks up passengers.

The first National Express coach that shows on their timetable that picks up passengers from JLA is at 4.20am and costs £2.10.

But check with them about that earlier one. Best to phone them on:

0044 8717 818178 (that's the overseas number)

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Landing at midnight

Thanks for your reply.

I'm staying at the Hampton Hilton Liverpool city centre. do you know how much a taxi would cost?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,923 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Landing at midnight

Taxi would cost about £20, possibly more.

The Hampton Hilton is tucked away behind the Baltic Fleet pub on Wapping and isn't actually on a main road.

I would like to think the taxi driver knows where the hotel is, but to make sure he doesn't drive around all over the place in the early hours of the morning tell him the postcode is "L1 8DA" for his satnav.

Edited: 04 April 2012, 19:25
Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Landing at midnight

are you on your own or in a group ???

obviously it works out cheaper in a group

a black hackney picked up o/s the airport, I would guess between £15-20, possibly a bit extra due to the bank holiday

if you can call a local private hire number this would be acheaper option,

Edited: 04 April 2012, 19:26
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Landing at midnight

It's just 2 of us, but thanks for your help.

Wirral
Level Contributor
66 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Landing at midnight

The coach does pick up picked some people up coming home on the last coach from a gig in manc the other week pain though going there now puts another 20 mins on the coach back.

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Landing at midnight

I'd skip the idea of getting the coach

by the time you pay your fare (x2) the coach then drops you off the other side of town (Norton Street, Coach Station) then you get a taxi

it would probably work out cheaper and a lot quicker just getting a taxi direct from the airport

good luck & enjoy your stay

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,923 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Landing at midnight

@ Timeless, I also got that 23.59 from Manchester to Liverpool after a gig a few weeks ago.

Instead of going straight down the M62 and then Edge Lane it goes all around the world to get to JLA, then it went down Mather Avenue and past the end of my road to get into town. I was gutted that I had to stay on all the way into town where someone was picking me up !

And bigscouse makes a good point about the coach station being on the opposite side of the city centre to the Hampton Hilton. That's a good 30 minute walk which I wouldn't want to do at 1.30am, and a taxi would probably charge £6 or £7.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
60 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Landing at midnight

Thanks for all your helps, and I'm really looking forward to y stay!