We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Complete extortion...

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Complete extortion...

Myself and my uncle,and both of our kids were in Manchester during the week,but flew to and from Liverpool airport.

On the day of return flight,we had a couple of hours to kill in the airport.The grownups had a drink in the bar in departures,while the two young lads went into the games arcade to play some video games and air hockey.

I wanted to give them some change,but only had euro left,so decided to get ten pound to give them in change.

When I asked how much it would cost at the travelex,I was sure I had heard the guy wrong.

£22.00 for €10.00..?!

Shocking.

Sparky.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,394 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Complete extortion...

There is presumably a minimum fee for transactions, making the exchange rate for smaller amounts prohibitive, especially when combined with travelex's already poor exchange rates at airports. Not really extortion though, as no threats or intimidation are involved.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
12,686 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Complete extortion...

Did you complain to "travelex" ?

If not, no point coming on here to have a moan !

wirral
Level Contributor
18,916 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Complete extortion...

Only the desperate and the inexperienced think about changing currency in an airport.And as for changing small amounts Wansteader has it right.I was in Manchester Airport 3 weeks ago Thomas Cook were offering 1.01 euros per £ and boasting theirs was the best rate in the airport!.

1.15 tourist rate was widely available in our High St.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Complete extortion...

Matt,

I was under the impression that this was a public forum?I have every right to,as you put it,''come on here and have a moan''.

Not that that was what I was doing.I was pointing it out to other ''desperate and inexperienced'' travellers like myself.

Wansteader,think you may have taken my post too literal.Maybe I should have said extortionate rates?

Sparky.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Complete extortion...

That's a ridiculous rate of exchange, but I would never change money that way - I think they do most of their transactions via their website. I use them a lot, as you get a really good rate that way - Travelex always come up as offering one of the best rates in the comparison websites.

wales
Level Contributor
447 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Complete extortion...

Hi Sparky fancy bumping into you again, you were really helpfull to me on the Dublin forum the other day.

Bit late for you i know but Martin Lewis website has good info for future travellers

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-mo…

I used tesco the other day and found their rates better than our high street and post office but best to check rates according to quantity required.

Thanks again

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Complete extortion...

Hi airtool,

Thanks for the info.Great win for Wales again last weekend.Hope they go all the way now.

Don't forget to visit us again sometime soon.

Sparky.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
12,686 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Complete extortion...

Sorry sparky if you found my comment a bit aggressive, it wasn't intended to be.

If I see you in Pogue Mahones on Seel Street I'll buy you a pint ! ;-)

Edited: 29 February 2012, 05:11
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Complete extortion...

Its ok,maybe Im just a bit sensitive...

Sparky.

wales
Level Contributor
447 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Complete extortion...

Will do Sparky, my wallets just getting over that 3 days back in Dublin but had a marvelous time ! up to Liverpool for a few days end of the week so picking up a few tips here.

Yes the voice is a little hoarse after last w/end we seem to be leaving it to the last minute to win games, not good for anyone's blood pressure !!

Airtool