We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting round Liverpool

co.tyrone
Level Contributor
35 posts
123 reviews
Getting round Liverpool

My teenage daughter and I are coming on a 3 night shopping trip to Liverpool mid week. We are staying in the Best Western hotel on Hatton st. We are going to be mostly shopping but I'd like to catch a few sights as well like the bombed out church, world museum, take a ferry trip and visit Crosby to see the Anthony Gormley sculptures. We are also going to be eating out each night in various parts of the city. Would you recommend a weekly arriva bus ticket so that we have the option of hopping on/off buses or is it a waste of money as everything is within walking distance? We are more than able to walk but do take lazy fits now and again! I was going to taxi it to and from airport as we have 2 large cases each and it will be quicker...hopefully. Thanks Jules

9 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Getting round Liverpool

Do you mean Hatton Garden?

Liverpool is compact and all that you want to do and see - shops , waterfront, restaurants and the bombed out church and museums are within a twenty minute walk of your accommodation. That goes for any accommodation within the city centre .

It’s easy walking , fairly level and you don’t need a bus to get around town.

The Bold street / Berry Street area , is where the bombed out Church is located along with the two cathedrals and

where you will find some nice individual bars and restaurants and the Chinese Arch in China town.

That’s a 20-30 minute slow stroll from your hotel and if by then you had had enough walking it wouldn’t be a wallet buster to jump a cab back to your hotel either.

Likewise there are buses from the airport into town but on holiday I would treat myself to a taxi to the door of the hotel to save lugging suitcases and maybe getting a little lost

Hatton Garden adjoins Dale Street and it’s in the commercial area and you are within 5-10 minutes walk to plenty of good restaurants along Dale Street corner of Castle Street.

The only time you would actually need public transport is to take the train out to Crosby

You aren’t far from Panaramic 34 , book in for afternoon tea or a cocktail after shopping for some great views of the city

co.tyrone
Level Contributor
35 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: Getting round Liverpool

Thanks for the advice. Sounds great.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
3. Re: Getting round Liverpool

Hi

A saveaway is another option to travel with. If your are arriving at JLA, you can buy them at the spar shop. But you can't use them between 6.30am and 9.30am during the week.

merseytravel.gov.uk/mobile/Pages/default.aspx

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20,329 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Getting round Liverpool

Single on the bus from JLA to the city centre is £2.30 and £1.60 for under 18's (I think anyway!) so no point in getting a Saveaway ticket.

For Another Place you can get a train from Liverpool Central of Moorfields (Moorfields is closer to your hotel). Buy a return to Blundellsands & Crosby, then walk down the beach and get the train back from Waterloo. There are several cafes, pubs and restaurants on South Road in Waterloo.

Apart from that, and as already advised above, just walk everywhere. To get a bus from your hotel to, for example, the bombed out church, would take a lot longer than walking and would probably require you to change buses twice. Or you could walk to Elliot Street/Great Charlotte Street and get a bus from there, but you're halfway there anyway so you may as well just carry on walking because the bus will end up stuck in traffic!

Edited: 04 August 2018, 16:43
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20,329 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Getting round Liverpool

P.S. taxi from JLA to your hotel will be about £18-£20.

If you do get a taxi can you come back on here and tell us how much it is for future reference. 😉

co.tyrone
Level Contributor
35 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: Getting round Liverpool

Will do

co.tyrone
Level Contributor
35 posts
123 reviews
7. Re: Getting round Liverpool

A Hackney taxi from airport to hotel cost me £17 plus £2 airport levi. All in £19. Only choose this option though as we had booked onto a walking tour at 11am and wanted quickest way to drop off our bags.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Getting round Liverpool

Good estimate ManSOLO!

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
235 reviews
9. Re: Getting round Liverpool

You can walk to all the places you want to see quite easily. Liverpool is a very compact City. most of the routes you would use are pedestrianized.

Reply to: Getting round Liverpool
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted