We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to drive from London?

Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
How long to drive from London?

How long does it take to drive to Blackpool from London? Thanks!

bolton england
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to drive from London?

hi veram , been told it takes 5 to six hours . x

England
Level Contributor
340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to drive from London?

Driving distance from central London approx. 250 miles. Journey time depends on the traffic and the time you leave. You can do London to Blackpool in four hours or eight hours, depending on whether there has been an accident on the M1 or M6 or M25. It also depends whether you are coming from south London or North London. If you are coming from North London take the M1 and M6 , from south London you'd use the M25, M40 and M42 (at junction 3A) and M55( The toll road on the M6 cuts down the journey a bit and for the ��3.50 each way is worth bypassing Birmingham. If you leave on a Friday night rush hour it will take ages. A Saturday afternoon in the summer would probably be quite quiet, but then again on a Winter afternoon it would be busy because of all the football traffic. When exactly do you plan to come? Do you know people in Blackpool? Or is there something specific there you wish to see?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to drive from London?

London to Blackpool is 225 miles and motorway all the way, so you could hope to drive in something like four hours, including one or two stops. Unfortunately, the British motorway system runs close to maximum capacity almost all of the time and an accident can bring traffic to a halt for many, many miles. Two years ago we went to the Lake District, which is not far from Blackpool, on a Saturday in August and sheer weight of traffic meant that it took eight hours.

I once drove from Heathrow to Luton airport and back on the Thursday before Easter and this journey of 76 miles took six hours. On the other hand, I sometimes drive from Northumberland to London, leaving around 6.00 pm and this usually takes less than five hours for 300 miles. Sorry to be so long winded. The point is that road journey times in England are very unpredictable.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to drive from London?

Bob - 8 hours to the Lake District, that was quick. It took me 4 hours to do 30 miles last Monday. The actual jam I was in was only about 10 of those and 40 minutes of which were trying to get round the roundabout above the M11 at Harlow.

Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to drive from London?

Thanks everyone. That gives me a really good idea. We're probably just as well to take the train. I thought if it was a bit more of an advantage time wise, convenience would be great.

Thanks All!

Bracknell, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to drive from London?

You are best off flying to Blackpool, Ryanair fly from Stansted early morning and back in the evening Very comfortable. Brings Blackpool within day-trip distance!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to drive from London?

I agree- check the Ryanair website for very cheap flights from Stansted to Blackpool airport. Its located very close to the beach and Pleasure Beach too, on south Shore. Less than an hour flying time! Save your money..!

Get answers to your questions about Blackpool