We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windermere to London

BOMBAY,INDIA
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Windermere to London

Hey there,

I will be traveling with my wife, mum & child (3 yrs old ) in the month of may ... will be hiring a car in edinburgh ( 4 nts ) and driving to inverness (4 nights ), glasgow (2 nts) , windermere (2nights) .

1) I need suggestions whether to drive down from winderemere to london ( Bayswater ) is convenient or way too long ?

2) If the drive is convenient , should I drive directly to London or should I break in York for lunch and to check out the town for a while and then proceed to london. ( Or direct to london would be better ?? )

3) Should i drive directly to bayswater or if London traffic and roads are way to complex to handle, should I just drive to heathrow and take the tube from there to our hotel

Please assist

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
763 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windermere to London

The drive to London on the motorway is some 6 - 8 hours depending on your stops . York as a stopover is a little off the track, i would suggest Lunch perhaps in Chester - also a delightful city, with much to recommend it . Getting to Bayswater for the average navigator is none too difficult when exiting the Motorway M1. The journey as a whole is not overly taxing even giving the necessary stops for a young family.

Level Contributor
3,402 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windermere to London

Why not get the train? Half the time and a lot less stress

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windermere to London

The drive is actually longish but do-able. I think you'll need to stop at least once and I would suggest somewhere like Warwick services. If you wish you could also pop over to do castle/Shakespeare stuff as a detour from there.

And if you approach London from that side (M40) you could easily go into Bayswater via the A40 and Holland Park/Notting Hill or via Edgware Road. The only major direction turning you'll need to do will be at the end assuming your hotel is not on the main road.

You could equally drop the car off at Heathrow, take the rental company shuttle to the tube station and then take the tube to your destination or indeed the HEX to Paddington which will be more expensive.

BOMBAY,INDIA
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windermere to London

Thanks everyone... I think ill drive right upto bayswater .... 6hours drive doesn't seem to be very exhausting ... any more suggestions on the stopovers enroute would be welcome... Would prefer small towns as stopovers than cities .... Cheers :)

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windermere to London

It might be easier to take the train, but if there are 4 of you I expect it will almost certainly be cheaper to drive.

It's perfectly feasible to do the drive in a day, but there's no reason why you couldn't break the journey if you like. Biddulph Grange Garden near Stoke on Trent is roughly half way and is well worth a visit if you like gardens.

I'd recommend coming into London via the M40 rather than the M1. M1 frequently has delays, whereas M40 usually runs pretty freely (at least until you get into London, where delays are common).

Just be careful about the Congestion Zone when you get to London. I believe Bayswater is just about outside the zone, so you might be OK, but if you take a little detour, either intentionally or owing to a navigation error, you could end up driving through it. Be aware that entrances to the zone are not always clearly marked, so you need to know where the boundaries are.

Details here: tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/…default.aspx

6. Re: Windermere to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2013, 14:49
Get answers to your questions about Windermere