We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For the serious photographers

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
For the serious photographers

I would like some advice on what time to visit the best places, for example are the stones best seen early or late in the day? Ashness bridge morning or afternoon?

Whilst I appreciate early is best for most places it may not be if I am facing the rising sun.

What time is sun up/down in Keswick for August please ?

Mentioned in this post
Ashness Bridge
Ashness Bridge
148 Reviews
Keswick, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Workington, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For the serious photographers

Ashness bridge best done in morning as sun (if it shines) will be behind you, but can also get some nice clouds around sunset time

Mentioned in this post
Ashness Bridge
Ashness Bridge
148 Reviews
Keswick, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For the serious photographers

Two questions:

Does weather play an important part in this?

Are you bothered about getting other people in your photos?

Ashness Bridge is a honeypot. You probably know that it's the most photographed and famous bridge in the Lake District. It's also a place where people park up as a starting point for walks and the parking around that immediate area is pretty tight.

By the stones do you mean Castlerigg? If yes it depends on what you want to get in the background. If it's Blencathra I would go later in the day. The only problem then is other people. It's quite popular with families/children.

Mentioned in this post
Ashness Bridge
Ashness Bridge
148 Reviews
Keswick, UK
Lake District
Lake District
Cumbria, UK
Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For the serious photographers

If you are serious about your photography, you may have to visit more than once to get the shots you want, accounting for weather etc. Check out any map to see where you want to photograph and which direction it faces relative to the sun. Check out other people's photos to see what, when and where they were taken.

There are plenty of websites that you can google as easily as we can to find daylight hours.

There are likely to be fewer people at first light, but I always find the evening light is better for photos.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For the serious photographers

Thanks for the replies, for sure I would like to go back several times to the same place if weather is not as required. Early morning is preferred before most of the tourists are out and about :) I usually get up early and go then return for a nice breakfast in the guesthouse to prepare me for the rest of the day.

Ashness looks like first on my list, followed by Castlerigg and then anything else we can find on our long walks. Of course if you have any secret locations you want to share with me ......

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For the serious photographers

david go on the dreaded facebook and join the photography of cumbria group u'll get loads of ideas where to go from actual pictures .

if ur based in keswick a day out in buttermere/crummock water is a must for a camera enthusiast

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For the serious photographers

crummock water looks like a place for me, not so sure about that facebook thingy you mention :)

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For the serious photographers

lol its a gd group for photographers its basically just people posting pictures they've taken in cumbria all quite innocent honest lol .

do a loop drive from keswick over whinlatter pass that will take u2 crummock water , then carry on to buttermere the come back over honister pass into borrowdale then keswick very scenic drive and lots of photo opportunitys

Chester
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For the serious photographers

Hi,

check out the area around Rosthwaite and the Royal Oak. You can easily walk to Watendlath, Castle Crag and Grange via the river and come back via the old corpse trail to the slate quarry opposite Rosthwaite.

Keith.

Mentioned in this post
Rosthwaite
Rosthwaite
Borrowdale, UK
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For the serious photographers

Thanks, I will look in to those places.

I will be walking all week, no car but may hop on an odd bus or two.

Other than Ashness are there any other old/scenic bridges nearby ?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For the serious photographers

castlerigg stone circle is just outside keswick and walkable .

;