We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keswick with a dog for a week

Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Keswick with a dog for a week

Hi myself husband and dog are staying a week in Keswick in July. I have heard it's ideal for dogs. It's our first UK holiday with our dog and would welcome any must see places and things to do. We will be taking car so will be happy to visit places around about also. Thankyou :)

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
261 reviews
1. Re: Keswick with a dog for a week

You've heard right! Keswick is an ideal spot to holiday with a dog. Many pubs and restaurants have dog friendly sections and quite a few shops and accommodations allow dogs too.

What are you interested in doing? Hiking and fell walking are the obvious things to do and there's walks for all levels of abilities in the area. Must see towns and villages are Keswick, Ambleside, Coniston, Grasmere and Hawskhead. I'd recommend driving over the mountain passes, Honister, Kirkstone, Wryenose and Hardknott. They offer the most amazing views. Ullswater, Buttermere, the Langdale Valley, Wasdale Valley and Wastwater are all fantastic.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
676 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Keswick with a dog for a week

For such a general question the best advice is to wait and see what the weather is like.

This more than anything will influence your day to day choice of activity.

Weather forecasts are useful but the Lake District is just a mass of micro-climates and significant changes to forecasts will often occur overnight.

Cheshunt, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
415 reviews
3. Re: Keswick with a dog for a week

Plenty of free street parking and then a brisk walk into town. There are many dog friendly pubs. I recommend the food in the TWA dogs pub. Try the new ghost tour in the evening. Many of the shops and garden centres allow the dog in. There is a wonderful park. Try the Low Nest Farm for great accomodation.

As you have a car, I would recommend the little ratty train, Muncastle Castle (bird show...bring entry internet voucher) and a walk up Scarfell or Buttermere. Try to get to Buttermere for sunrise....it is breathtaking. My dog loves walking the Wainwrights. Conniston waters boat trips are great fun but beware of high parking charges. I know where the free parking is in this area. As I walk the dog I try to get away from the tourists and heading up catbells was the highlight of my last visit.

Cheshunt, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
415 reviews
4. Re: Keswick with a dog for a week

Plenty of free street parking and then a brisk walk into town. There are many dog friendly pubs. I recommend the food in the TWA dogs pub. Try the new ghost tour in the evening. Many of the shops and garden centres allow the dog in. There is a wonderful park. Try the Low Nest Farm for great accomodation.

As you have a car, I would recommend the little ratty train, Muncastle Castle (bird show...bring entry internet voucher) and a walk up Scarfell or Buttermere. Try to get to Buttermere for sunrise....it is breathtaking. My dog loves walking the Wainwrights. Conniston waters boat trips are great fun but beware of high parking charges. I know where the free parking is in this area. As I walk the dog I try to get away from the tourists and heading up catbells was the highlight of my last visit.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
156 reviews
5. Re: Keswick with a dog for a week

Keswick is indeed a dog friendly town, and I'm sure you and your four-legged friend will have a great time.

Just one thing to be aware of, however: if you take your dog hiking, do make sure you keep it on a lead if there are any sheep around. Dogs and sheep really don't mix, and there are lots of sheep in places you might go hiking.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Keswick with a dog for a week

I would echo Nautius'advice. The Lake District is a fabulous place for dogs. However, please ensure you take heed of signs asking asking people to keep their dogs on leads in certain areas. Reports of dog attacks on sheep in the last couple of months alone have been heartbreaking to read. Especially when the reports also show visually the devastating effects on farmers. I have seen a farmer turn up to a field with a shotgun after he heard his sheep being startled by a dog the owner couldn't control.

Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Keswick with a dog for a week

Thankyou everyone for your advice. Our dog is a Yorkshire terrier and I can't wait to take him on his first proper holiday (we adopted him after he was kept locked up in a cage a year and a half) so he will enjoy himself lots. We are from the north east of England so used to tempremental weather. Will be nice just to see some gorgeous places in our own country. We will be cautious and make sure careful with dog and be considerate to everyone and place around us. Thankyou everyone :)

8. Re: Keswick with a dog for a week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Keswick