We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle Cragg

Midlands
Level Contributor
65 posts
19 reviews
Castle Cragg

We are heading from the Midlands up to Scotland but will be stopping off at Cockermouth Travelodge for the evening on Sunday to break the journey.

Am planning to take in a walk in Keswick whilst in the area, possibly Castle Cragg ? Any other suggestions (I know we are so spoilt for choice so its difficult). Although we are all pretty fit , didn’t want anything too tiring , looking more for the stunning views.

Any recommendations for afternoon tea/sandwiches and evening dinner ?

And also a good pub

Many thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Castle Cragg

If you want stunning views you won't beat a walk to the top of Latrigg particularly if you 'cheat' and drive up to the Gale Road car park. It's only 10 minutes on foot from there. There are lots of other spectacular views around Keswick but none that beat it for sheer convenience.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
976 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Castle Cragg

catbells, plenty of places in keswivk for a bite to eat, borrowdale hotel for afternoon tea, castle bar in cockermouth for something to eat at nite, probelly best to pre book

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,357 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Castle Cragg

Castle Crag or Catbells for me.

If you haven't booked the Travelodge yet, consider The Allerdale Court Hotel instead. You're near to The Castle Bar and the rest that Cockermouth has to offer, rather than out near the main road. It's worth swapping if you can.

Mike

cumbria
Level Contributor
28 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Castle Cragg

Consider walking Sale Fell and/or Ling Fell which are easily done in half a day and are pretty close to Cockermouth. Both are just off the A66 and have great views. This would give you time to get lunch and dinner in Keswick plus time to look around and do the 'touristy things'.

The Pheasant Inn is close by for good food and beer.

Also nearby are the various walking trails at Whinlater Forest Park. Follow this with beer/lunch at the park café or down in Brajthwaite village.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
5. Re: Castle Cragg

Castle Crag, Catbells, Latrigg and also Walla Crag would all suit you fine. I'd say the views round Derwent Water are better than Sale Fell and Ling Fell, but that's just me. Sale Fell is a nice walk, but Ling Fell is just a big lump.

Julia Bradbury did Castle Crag the other day (ITV?) so you might want to look at the catch-up - though she did it from the south, not the Keswick end.

davidhalllakedistrictwalks.co.uk/PAGES/FELL_…

will show you what you're looking at.

Edited: 02 March 2016, 00:59
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
261 reviews
6. Re: Castle Cragg

Castle Crag is stunning as you have the views over Buttermere and Derwentwater. It's not a difficult hike, but bear in mind that the last portion is a steep climb up with loose slate underfoot. It can be quite lethal if it's been raining, so take care and wear appropriate footwear. Walla Crag is also lovely, but it doesn't have quite the same panoramic view as Castle Crag. Latrigg has a lovely view and it only a 10 minute walk if you drive up.

I think Castle Crag would offer the most enjoyable experience though - weather permitting of course!

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7. Re: Castle Cragg

I'm biased, but you can't beat Catbells followed by The Swinside Inn

8. Re: Castle Cragg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2017, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Keswick