We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

short stay in Lake District

Staunton, Virginia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
short stay in Lake District

We are doing a three week tour of Wales and England and Edinburgh. We only have about two days to spend in the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District. Are there good bus tours to see the scenery? Where would you recommend we stay? Is it better to rent a car?

Thanks!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: short stay in Lake District

Personally I would take the two days for either the Dales or the Lakes. Splitting between the two wouldn't do justice to either as both are completely different landscapes.Mountain Goat is the company for bus tours in the Lakes.

Woodstock, Illinois
Level Contributor
491 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: short stay in Lake District

I'd agree with other poster. I spent 9 days in the Lake District and didn't get all the hikes in I would like. It's a relatively large area, has many good hikes, many picturesque towns.

Having said that, Keswick, where I stayed, is the bus hub. You can get a day pass and get on/off in order to see some of the towns. You're really not going to get any 'feel' for the area with a day or two.

To bring that closer to your home, it's like saying you want to know what to do to see Skyline Drive, but only have a day to do it.

If you're determined, get a bus from Keswick and ride on to Grasmere, then Ambleside, on to Windermere. You may want to check other postings on this thread for the more 'picturesque' towns you could visit, then get back on the bus and get to the next town.

Edited: 16 February 2016, 06:25
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
160 reviews
3. Re: short stay in Lake District

Completely agree: if you only have 2 days to do the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales, then pick one.

If you pick the Lake District, then Keswick is certainly a good place to stay if you're doing things independently, though if you decide to do a Mountain Goat tour, then you might want to check what's available starting from Keswick, as they are based in Windermere and you may have a better choice of their offerings if you stay closer to there. Ambleside may be a better choice in that regard.

I suspect the decision about hiring a car is best made with reference to the rest of your trip. A car is handy in the Lake District, but certainly not essential, especially if you plan to do an organised tour.

Keswick, United...
2 posts
4. Re: short stay in Lake District

Hi Marie

I didn't notice when you're coming, but if you decide on a bus tour, it'd be a good idea to actually speak to the companies direct to establish what is possible, as the main arterial route the A591 was washed away in floods in December and it affects travel between Windermere/Ambleside and Keswick in the north of the district. As other posters have said, 2 days won't be long enough - if you really cannot change your itinery, then I would hire a car.

Lucinda

Mississippi
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: short stay in Lake District

We spent three weeks in Britain last May/June, and were in Keswick for three nights. I think it was my favorite part of the trip. We stayed at the Hall Garth House, and had a great stay. We hiked up to Castlerigg stone circle one morning, hiked halfway around the lake and took the boat back one morning, hiked up Latrigg that afternoon - the Lake District is beautiful, there are easy hikes, medium hikes, difficult hikes, but if you're into walking/hiking at all you'll love them all. You don't really need to take a bus to see the scenery, you can see miles and miles of beautiful scenery as you walk. (Can you tell I really loved Keswick?)

Harry

6. Re: short stay in Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2017, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Keswick