We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

Hi there. I will be staying in Keswick and need to catch an 11:27 train out. I see there is a 10:20 bus leaving Keswick arriving at the Penrith rail station at 11:05. I am unfamiliar with the area (coming from a different country) and wondering if 1. is the bus reliable to go by that time? 2. is that sufficient time to get onto the train? I'm assuming Penrith is not a large train station.

If it doesn't seem do-able, are taxis a faster/more efficient way to get from Kesiwck to Penrith? If so, does anyone know how much it usually cost/what the damage is?

Thanks!

21. Re: Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

Hi the promotion of Keswick taxi is unreal yes they may be cheaper on the meter however prebooking a Penrith taxi you may get just as cheap and are guaranteed to be there to meet your needs I got a prebooked Penrith taxi the price was fare and a great driver try call some of the taxis at the railway station and get a quote.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
676 posts
70 reviews
22. Re: Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

The key to a cheaper fare is to Pre-Book .

Un-booked taxis at the station are much more expensive - >£40 last time I asked - I waited for the bus !!

Keswick, United...
1 post
1 review
23. Re: Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

You should be fine on the bus, they are usually reliable, and there is plenty of time for catching the train.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
160 reviews
24. Re: Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

Given that this thread is almost 3 years old, I suggest that any further advice is probably of limited use to the OP.

colorado
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
25. Re: Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

How far in advance do you need to book the trains? Is one day sufficient? My husband and I want to take the train to/from MAN to Penrith but am not sure of our exact arrival time in MAN. What if our flight is delayed...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
70 reviews
26. Re: Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

"Can we be clear about the nature of your recommendation for Iain's taxis, IAIN36333? I notice your user name contains the word Iain. Just wondering if that's a coincidence or if it's your own taxi firm you're recommending?"

Well spotted NM. The 36333 also happens to the second part of the phone number for this taxi company.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
676 posts
70 reviews
27. Re: Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

Low cost advance tickets are limited in number so the earlier ( up to 12 weeks in advance) you book the better.

I believe that Trans Penine Trains from Manchester airport allow you to take a later train if your flight is delayed - look at their website.

If travelling in the morning or early evening seriously consider paying the extra for 1 st Class - far more space , less crowding and free drink !

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
6 reviews
28. Re: Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

Book your train now if the travel date is within 10-12 weeks. You should be able to get a good advance fare on a Trans Pennine Express (TPE) train if it's more than a few days away. TPE have a special arrangement for trains from MAN - you can book an advance fare on a specific train and if the plane is late and you miss that train you can take a later one - you just need to validate the ticket at the ticket office at the station.

29. Re: Keswick to Penrith Taxi cost & Bus reliability

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Keswick