We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation around the Lake District?

Asheville, NC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation around the Lake District?

I will be based in Keswick in mid-July 2017 for five days. I would like to move around the area during that time but do not want to rent a car. Are there day-trips via coach/bus maybe, or ease of travel via buses in this area so that I can go to Windermere or other areas for the day? Thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation around the Lake District?

plenty of buses

http://www.golakes.co.uk/travel/by-bus.aspx

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation around the Lake District?

If you look up Mountain Goat they do tours of the area from Windermere. You can also do boat rides on Derwentwater, Ullswater, Coniston and Windermere.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation around the Lake District?

I stayed in Bowness earlier this year and was able to get around by bus to Ambleside, Windermere, Keswick, Grasmere and loads of other places very very easily. With the aid of some additional walking and a ferry I got to even more places...and I have a very limited sense of direction.

Bus drivers were helpful and at some key stops there were staff offering guidance and timetables too.

Workington, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation around the Lake District?

Mountain goat tours also pick up in Keswick, local bus service is not bad at summer, buses to grassmere and Windermere, cockermouth and workington in other direction, bus down borrowdale, very scenic, then bus over honister pass to buttermere, one you must do imo, local bus company, stagecoach do day pass around £11 or a weeks pass for around £27, hope this helps

Chester
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation around the Lake District?

I would take the bus down Borrowdale and over to Buttermere and Back to Keswick.

Take a trip on Derwent water down to the Ashness Bridge drop off and walk up the road to the Bridge and a bit further on to Surprise View.

Grasmere is on the main bus route and the village is a nice place to spend a morning ( Sarah Nelsons Gingerbread shop is a must). You can walk around the lake to Loughrigg Terrace. From the Gingerbread shop go across to the garden centre and follow the road passed the pay and display car park ( car park behind garden centre) and just follow the lane, you will have options to drop down to the lake if you want but we usually carry on until there is a house on the left and the NT path passes right in front to their living room window and then enter the woods, at the end of this path the terrace is just on the left. You can carry on to the end of the terrace ( or you drop down to the lake and continue round the lake) and then see Rydal water and if you follow the path along here you come out at the Badger Bar at the Glen Rothay and you could continue along the road to Ambleside, this route is about 4.5-5 miles.

Keith.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation around the Lake District?

Public transport should be fine with a little planning. BTW I approve of your choice of Keswick, and don't miss the walk to Castlerigg stone circle--preferably early or late in the day and you might have it all to yourself.

Asheville, NC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation around the Lake District?

Thank you very much to the six people who responded to my question. Happy to learn that getting around the Lake District on public transport will not be difficult. Appreciate the additional tips regarding what to see and where to go.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation around the Lake District?

It depends on where you want to go. Keswick is a good base if you want to rely on public transport, as it has many buses, and you will easily be able to travel to places like Grasmere, Ambleside, or Windermere.

However, if you want to get a bit more off the beaten track, then you'll find that buses don't go all over the Lake District.

But I think you'll be fine. You certainly won't run out of places you can go to by bus in just 5 days. Do make sure you check the timetables though. Not all services run frequently. On some routes you could easily wait a couple of hours for the next bus if you've just missed one.

Asheville, NC...
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation around the Lake District?

Thank you.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation around the Lake District?

The 555 bus service from Keswick to Lancaster via Windermere should fit your requirements when you are based at Keswick. Keswick bus station is next to the main supermarket in the town centre. Using this mode of transport is about an hour each way but as it goes via Thirlmere, Grasmere and Ambleside it is a very scenic journey. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Get answers to your questions about Keswick