We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coniston with a toddler

laurauk1983
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coniston with a toddler

Hello

We are going to be staying near Coniston for a week in April with our little boy who will be 16 months old by then. Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions of things to do, or places to go, the cheaper the better.

Thanks

Laura

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
749 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coniston with a toddler

Obviously the cheapest activity is watching the ducks on the lake, for a small investment in bread he will get hours of pleasure !!! Beatrix Potter world at Windermere should be suitable, wouldnt bother with Beatrix Potters house though as he's too young to appreciate it.

2. Re: Coniston with a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 November 2015, 01:56
Essex
Level Contributor
28,412 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coniston with a toddler

"Gondola" the Steam Yacht that belongs to the National Trust is in operation on the Lake from 1st April, perhaps you would all enjoy a trip on that??

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-gondola

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
613 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coniston with a toddler

There's a playground in Coniston, Hawkshead & Ambleside, all good. A little further afield, you could go to Muncaster CAstle & see the owls, or travel further & take L'al ratty from Eskdate http://www.ravenglass-railway.co.uk/

If you have a rainy day there's a swimming pool at Keswick (& shops for Mum & Dad!!) I don't know of any swimming pools coniston/south lakes. you also have the south lakes zoo nearby-ish!

HTH. x.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coniston with a toddler

Personally I am not a fan of the lake there and have always found it quite characterless. I would even choose Windermere over Coniston.

So - nearby (within a 20 minute drive) you have Fell Foot Park which has an excellent adventure playground for babies, toddlers and older children. In April you will probably be able to take a picnic there too.

There is also the steam railway at Haverthwaite which takes you to Lakeside.

Further round there is also an adventure playground at the Lake District Visitor Centre at Brockhole between Windermere and Ambleside. In addition to this there are also some nice lawned areas where kids can run about or you could sit and eat. The visitor centre backs onto Windermere and you can get a boat from there during peak season (don't know whether April falls into his category).

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
613 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coniston with a toddler

Also meant to mention about the playpark at grizedale.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coniston with a toddler

Coniston is a lovely little village,it has a Tourist Information Centre in the centre of village which staff may guide you regarding activities and places of interest.

Take a nice walk to Windermere shore,near Bluebird Cafe and feed the ducks like suggested.The ducks love duck pelletts from pet shops.

I"ll suggest other places to visit but you will have to travel via car.

Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway.

www.lakesiderailway.co.uk

Duckys Park Farm.

www.duckysparkfarm.co.uk

Lakeland Minature Village.

www.lakelandminiaturevillage.com

Eden Ostrich World.

www.ostrich-world.com

The Cumberland Pencil Museum.

www.pencilmuseum .com

From the pencil museum take a walk around Keswick town.There are two parks close to town called Hope and Fitz park.From Hope park take a rowing boat out on Derwent Water or a boat trip from Keswick boating landind stage.This is also a good walking area.

Keswick also has indoor leisure facilities for those rainy days.

Take a trip to Whinlatter Forest,lots of walks here.

I do recommend a trip on the Gondola (Lake Windermere).

Enjoy your trip.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coniston with a toddler

The Gondola is on Coniston as is the Bluebird cafe!

Gibel

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coniston with a toddler

my mistake Gibel,thank you for correcting me.My mind was somewhere else.

Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
613 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coniston with a toddler

Ostrich World has ceased trading!!