We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Lake District

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Topic
visiting Lake District

Hello and a Happy New Year!

My husband and I are planning a short trip to UK and Spain in June 2012.

I am thinking of flying into Manchester from Australia and catching a train to the Lake District. Which town would be best to train to and stay at? I have heard of Windermere, Ambleside and Keswick. I am interested in the tourist attractions, a lake cruise, sight seeing with a little relaxation and hopefully a bit of sunshine! We will have four full days in between arriving Friday 8th and leaving Wednesday 13th. How long does the train take from the airport? If we base ourselves at one of the places mentioned and hire a car would we be able to do day trips to the other towns? Do you have any other ideas for me please.

Many thanks Caroline.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: visiting Lake District

Hi,

You may want to consider basing yourself in Keswick.You can still take a bus ride from Keswick to Windermere.I do agree with previous post,hire your car at Manchester airport.

Keswick has lots to offer.It has a Tourist Information Centre in the centre of town (Moot Hall).Keswick has restaurants,cafe"s shops,fish & chip shops,cinema,theatre,pubs,two parks called Hope & Fitz park.Both parks offer outdoor activities like crazy golf,pitch & putt,bowls,tennis and gardens.Walks from town centre include Derwent Water Circular walk,Catbells and Lattrigg.Reviews/photo"s of these walks on my profile if you wish to view.Head to Keswick boating landing stage (10 mins walk from town),take a boat ride or hire a rowing boat.

places i recommend you visit-:

www.keswick-launch.co.uk

www.chrisjonesgyroplanes.co.uk

www.theatrebythelake.com

www.honister.com

Honister Slate Mine is a experience and i recommend a trip here but i also recommend you do Via Ferrata + zip.

Guides walks from Tourist Information centre.

www.keswickrambles.org.uk

Enjoy your trip.

12. Re: visiting Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2013, 15:48