We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Canterbury

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Canterbury

My husband and I were thinking of taking a day trip from London to Canterbury on a Monday in early October. Is everything that is worthwhile to see pretty much located close to each other? And close to the train station? About how long would we need to spend there to see the best highlights?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

Hi TravelBug102,

Canterbury is a very small and compact city and almost all of the sights are in the pedestrianised centre, which is very walkable and takes no more than 15 mins to cross on foot. Both train stations are only a 10 minute walk from the cathedral, which is right in the centre.

I would recommend a full day, rather than a half-day as depending on your interests there is quite a lot to see.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,354 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

Hello Travelbug

Canterbury is a lovely ancient city that is extremely easy to visit. As BayBOy has already said, a full day visit will give you enough time to visit the main sites without feeling too rushed.

Canterbury Cathedral dominates the town,but you can see other perspectives using the riverside trips. I personally love the riverside gardens that are tucked away in the side streets behind the Pilgrims Hospital... and the really good lunches at the Goods Shed, Abode or Deeson's.

The newly restored Marlowe Theatre (suprisingly!) lovely ddition to the town, and shows how very modern architecture can sit comfortably with Medieval architecture.

October is a great month to visit.... the weather is usually mild, so wear layers and flat shoes... for the cobble stones. The autumn sun sets make excellent photo's.

If you are travelling down from London by train, you may still be able to take advantage of the 2 for 1 deals available at www.visitkentbytrain.co.uk

You don't need to advance book train travel from London.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

Rather than wandering around without understanding what you are seeing, you could take a walking tour with a blue or green badge guide. The tours are around 1.5 hours. I don't think entry into the Cathedral is included but you can go back and do that in your own time at the end of the tour.

www.canterburyguidedtours.com

Edited: 27 August 2012, 13:12
Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

Thank you everyone, I will take all your tips into consideration!!! Am looking forward to visiting! I have been all over Great Britain and my husband was born and raised there and neither one of us has been to Canterbury yet.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

Having tried both of the companies offering boat trips in Canterbury, I'd recommend the Canterbury River Navigation company, who leave from a jetty next to the Westgate Tower

http://crnc.co.uk/

You get your own punt, with guide / steerer, rather than sharing with lots of other people, & the punt can get to places that the shared boats can't reach. (They're also advertising a "park & punt" service from the Wincheap park & ride car park - sounds like a novel idea!)

The other company's cheaper, but does a shorter trip.

If you arrive at Canterbury East station from London, following the pedestrian signs for hte city centre will put you on top of the city wall. You can follow this for a little way, which is quite nice (turning right onto the city wall will take you towards the cathedral), or stroll through the Dane John gardens into the city centre.

The hospital on the High Street isn't what you might expect; it's an ancient place that used to offer hospitality to travelling pilgrims, and is also worth a short visit while you're in the city.

Enjoy your trip.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,777 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

Thank you!!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,985 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

I've just come back from a week in Canterbury. Hot sunny weather, a miracle in itself and the city was packed with tourists of just about every nationality.

I doubt the weather will be so good in a few weeks times but fingers crossed.

Add to the items above a quick visit to the newly re-opened Beaney Institute Museum in the High Street. It's free and worth a little look especially if the weather isn't so good.

8. Re: Day trip to Canterbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2013, 14:46