We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cantebury Cathedral from the outside

CA
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Cantebury Cathedral from the outside

Hi, I'll be in Cantebury for a few hours in the morning on a Sunday. Unfortunately, it'll be before Cantebury Cathedral opens. Can you appreciate the Cathedral from the outside? Is it worth wandering Cantebury for a few hour in the morning or should I just go to Dover directly? Thanks.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cantebury Cathedral from the outside

<<Can you appreciate the Cathedral from the outside?>>

The cathedral is set within its own precincts quite separated from the street, but yes, there are vantage points in the city centre.

In my opinion the best free viewpoints in the city centre are:

- From The Parade looking down Butchery Lane - classic view of Bell Harry Tower (the central tower)

- From the High Street looking down Mercery Lane - classic view of the west towers above Christ Church Gate.

- From Palace Street by the leather clothing shop - excellent view of the west front

- From the bridge on The Friars looking towards Orange St - superb view.

Also I'm sure you will be allowed a glimpse through the main entrance at Christ Church Gate if you ask.

<<Is it worth wandering Cantebury for a few hour in the morning>>

Yes. The morning is a good time to wander. There are lots of other attractive buildings, things to see and do and many photo opportunities.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cantebury Cathedral from the outside

Actually, the cathedral precincts are a public right of way for local people so there is normally unrestricted access through Christ Church Gate when the cathedral itself it closed - so you should be able to enter the Precincts to take photos. If the gate is staffed, I'm sure they'll let you peek through if you ask.

CA
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cantebury Cathedral from the outside

Thanks for the great tips and the fast reply!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cantebury Cathedral from the outside

You're welcome. I'd just logged on quickly that minute before I head out again - our summer weather has finally arrived at long last!

By the way, the city centre is fully open for business on a Sunday. Shops open at 10am. You will have lots of choice for breakfast or coffee, most of the cafes and some restaurants will be open. I wandered the streets last Sunday morning and it was delightful to see it relatively quiet!

Edited: 21 July 2012, 19:48
CA
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cantebury Cathedral from the outside

Thanks, I ended up going today and it was fantastic! Got there around 9am before the town woke up and stayed until about 12:30pm to see the town hustle and bustle.

Cantebury Cathedral was open @ 9:30am but you could only see the Crypt and the grounds. The reduced price was 6GBP. It was great to walk around the grounds and I even asked to see the Quire and was let in for a peek. Everything was open at 12:30-2:30pm.

Thanks again for the good advice. I'm really glad I went today!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cantebury Cathedral from the outside

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the feedback. Good to know about the reduced fee on Sunday morning.

The last time I visited on Sunday afternoon was on Palm Sunday this year - the cathedral did remain open between 2:30-5:00pm. The Quire and Crypt were closed off for Evensong until 16:00 but the Nave remained accessible. There was no-one staffing the entrance gate so visitors could enter for free.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cantebury Cathedral from the outside

Glad you had a good time and I always enjoy reading trip reports :)

8. Re: Cantebury Cathedral from the outside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2013, 14:47