We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
29 reviews
Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

Hi.

I'm looking for recommendations on a nice, child friendly stables. It's important that it would offer a pony trekking, not horse riding. Horses in UK are very tall, and my children are not very experienced riders. Therefore, it's important to find pony trekking.

We'll be staying in vicinity of the Hampton Court Castle. Since we'll be exploring the area by car, recommendations on stables in various directions would still be useful.

Thank you very much.

Yuri.

34 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
219 reviews
1. Re: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

Ah Yuri, the indulgent Papa

Just the first ideas.

http://www.noakesfarmridingcentre.co.uk/

Worth an enquiry/email to ask advice?

Jodhpurs, boots, and a personal silk for the hat?

sportsdirect.com/equestrian/for-the-rider/jo…

http://www.shiresequestrian.com/

John

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

Thank you John. I'm trying to do my best, in order to organise a Summer vacation, to remember. I'm blessed with good children, they definitely deserve these treats. My daughters have trekked ponies in Kent, Cotswolds and the Highlands. Why Herefordshire should be any different?

I've got a similar query on Northern Welsh forum too.

Yuri.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
219 reviews
3. Re: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

Herefordshire area?

Papa enjoys the local cider, the girls enjoy the pony riding.

ridinginwales.com/contact-brwyngwyn-riding-c…

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

Exactly! Everyone is entitled to his/her pleasures!

Thanks for the link. It's near to the gardens on my list: Westonbury Mill Water Gardens, by Kington.

Yuri.

Edited: 08 June 2016, 01:58
UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

All stables that cater for children will have ponies available and should match the child's size and ability to an appropriate pony. It's important to be completely honest about the child's experience e.g.that they have ridden a small number of times not recently, and also to be clear that English is not their first language.

Bear in mind that size of the pony is not the only consideration, sometimes a slightly larger pony than you'd expect might be identified as the best option for your child due to temperament.

Accreditation from the BHS (British Horse Society) is helpful in establishing a stable is reputable and run to approved standards with experienced staff. That's not to say a non BHS approved stables won't be good, but as inexperienced horse people it's good to have that additional reassurance.

If you google the BHS you'll be able to find stables in the areas of interest.

Bear in mind that private sessions often cost more than group ones, but in your circumstances may be a better experience than a mixed ability group trek. Be sure to ask about who else will be on the ride.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

Thank you.

Yuri.

england
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
132 reviews
7. Re: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

when we took our child riding the stables gave her a larger horse because it was so docile, while putting another, more experienced, child on a smaller horse because that was more lively. However the long drop probably put them off riding again, not that we minded that because lessons would have been so expensive. Only one BHS place in herefordshire bhs.org.uk/enjoy-riding/find-a-place-to-ride…

Edited: 08 June 2016, 11:40
Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

Thank you.

Yuri.

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

Other good affiliations to look out for are Pony Club ( the organisation, not an in-house pony club) and RDA (a stable that provides sessions for disabled people - generally this is part of their wider business).

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?

Thank you.

Yuri.

Reply to: Pony trekking in Herefordshire?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Herefordshire
More Herefordshire Topics