We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Hastings Dog Friendly

Manc_Brel
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Is Hastings Dog Friendly

Hastings is on a shortlist of places to spend a week in July with my wife and our little dog. I’ve found the perfect accommodation that looks like it will tick our boxes, however when I do research on the town as a dog welcoming place the results concern me.

Firstly the beach. I visit lots of UK coastal towns. It’s always pretty simple to equip yourself with prior knowledge of where you can and can’t let dogs have a run on the beach. Google this for Hastings and you get confronted with Council orders of prohibited areas and “keep dogs on leads notifications. This in itself is putting me off the place. I just want to know where the little furry one can let off some energy and have a good time. I don’t need a lecture. The vast majority of dog people are responsible and sensible. This is why I’m factoring in the requirements of our dog into the choice.

So information from those in the know will be very gratefully received.

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
83 reviews
1. Re: Is Hastings Dog Friendly

The beach by the lifeboat station and the fishing boats is basically pebbles and there were plenty of dogs running free there last weekend. Ours wasn't because there was also plenty of old gutted fish remains lying around which she is prone to eat with dire consequences the next day!

I think we saw some dog friendly pubs although we sat outside a restaurant as it was such a warm day. The ice cream shop facing the amusement park seemed dog friendly and the ice cream was really good!

Manc_Brel
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Is Hastings Dog Friendly

Thank you for this swift response. I can imagine our dog also feasting on the fish remains! I did notice plenty of dog friendly pubs, but to be honest, that’s me catering for my own holiday needs rather than our little Lola’s.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,372 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Is Hastings Dog Friendly

There are dog-friendly areas of Hastings beach, but as I recall they’re to the west where it’s quite steep and narrow.

No matter, there are lots of better beaches nearby. Winchelsea Beach is far quieter and longer - and great (if muddy in parts) when the tide goes out. Camber is even better. Stick to the dunes and wide open sands (again, check the tides) at the river end of the beach. Finally, Hastings Country Park is dog friendly and with loads of walks.

Manc_Brel
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Is Hastings Dog Friendly

Thanks for this update. We will drive out to other beaches, so this is useful information.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Is Hastings Dog Friendly

>>> however when I do research on the town as a dog welcoming place the results concern me.<<<

I really can't think why to be honest. Hastings/St Leonards-on-Sea is now my hometown and whilst dogs are prohibited from some parts of the beach from May to September these are clearly marked along the seafront ( which has free wi-fi acces btw ). We also have free public toilets, and numerous free events and festivals throughout the year.

I make a point of going to the seafront every day and see literally dozens of folk walking their dogs along the extensive promenade all year round, and plenty on the areas of beach where they are permitted during the summer months. Mikeys suggestion of Hastings Country Park is also well worth considering. It's a dog owners paradise.

Please don't be put off, this town has so much to offer. This weekend alone it's hosting several events, including the World Crazy Golf Championship.

Manc_Brel
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Is Hastings Dog Friendly

Thanks BlueBreezer. The reason for my doubts and hence the question is that your local councils online information, which is the only relevant result when searching this topic, present a brick wall. I was greeted with information about restrictions (lots of them), not what I needed to know. It’s off putting and not at all welcoming to would be visitors wanting to bring our dogs. That is the online message I was given.

My humble suggestion to your council is to get someone to invest a little time updating their information with some “can do” messages. I would have booked by now, but for their discouraging and negative online welcome. Other searches, such as dog friendly pubs, gave a totally different message about Hastings, which is why I felt the need for some reassurance.

In short, Hastings council gave off a “Royston Vasey” vibe!

Thanks again.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: Is Hastings Dog Friendly

Hastings is a pretty laid back/freindly/open sort of town (not a local town for local people!) and a number of hotel/eating/drinking establishments aand people in general are dog-friendly (though there are outdoubtedly issues with dog fouling in parts which is why the council is taking quite a heavy handed approach).

One of the special things about Hastings compared to other similar sized resorts is the large amount of wild green open spaces easily accessible from the centre of town.

The afformentioned Hastings Country Park which starts right in the heart of the Old Town has miles of paths where dogs can run free through some of the lovliest coastline in the South East, the town's major park Alexandra park goes on for several miles through a mixture of wild and more formal areas (including its very own waterfall) - though some areas of park require dogs to remain on leads. Would also recommend the little visited St Helens Woods nature reserve - a large area of High Wields woodland and hillsides in the town.

In terms of beaches, some stretches allow dogs of leads (particular on quieter stretches of the beach) the beaches are shingle with sandy stretches appearing as the tide goes out - the only completely sandy beach in the region is Camber which is well worth taking the dog to.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 17:51
Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
1,766 reviews
8. Re: Is Hastings Dog Friendly

Yes it is.

The council however are not good at conveying it's friendly. You'd get the same sort of message from the council if you searched for "I want to leave all my money to Hastings Council when I die" 😁

Manc_Brel
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Is Hastings Dog Friendly

Thanks for the responses. I’ve booked to stay in Rye, but will come over to Hastings whilst there. My little dog loves to have a run on the beach. So I wanted to give her that pleasure. Having areas on the beach where she wasn’t allowed on, then others where she is, but only on a lead... well, that’s not what what I wanted.

All your alternative suggestions are very much appreciated.

Reply to: Is Hastings Dog Friendly
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hastings