We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet Times of Year

Addlestone, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Quiet Times of Year

Are there any less-busy periods that still fall within school holidays?

I'm trying to find destinations for our next family holiday. My daughter is autistic and doesn't do well in very busy / noisy places.

We've just come back from a week in Ramsgate which was really quiet and suited us perfectly, so I'm looking to find something similar. On paper Hastings seems to fit the bill nicely, but I'm reading a lot of reviews that it's busy (and also that the beaches are pebbly?).

3 replies to this topic
Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
2,195 reviews
1. Re: Quiet Times of Year

I suggest you look at The North Norfolk Coast, places like Cromer, Sheringham, Wells-next-to-Sea. It is truly pretty, lovely beaches and although touristy not madly busy.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Quiet Times of Year

Hastings is pretty busy (particularly around the old town) though there are lots of quiet tranquil areas of the town, up on the east hill and west hill cliffs, Alexandra Park, the beach under the stade and the beaches of st Leonard's, but as you have identified the beaches are pebbles.

Generally,most seaside resorts will be fairly busy in the summer, there are more rural stretches of coast that are much quieter but they may be less accessible and have fewer amenities than you are looking for so would depend what your wants and needs are. Also depends how far you are willing to travel.

Assuming you want to stay not too far from Surrey, one place t o consider is Folkestone which has a very quiet and tranquil stretch of promenade, a pretty little harbour with little sandy beach.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,373 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Quiet Times of Year

For once, my own location could well be the winner here.

Winchelsea town is small and very quiet. Winchelsea Beach a mile south is pebbly and popular with caravanners and not recommended but a mile or so west of the there, Cliff End is a hidden, partly sandy beach that would be ideal. Behind is Pett Level, with footpaths across the Marsh and down country lanes back to Winchelsea itself.

Mike

Reply to: Quiet Times of Year
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hastings