We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting the best out of Hastings.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
getting the best out of Hastings.

we are arriving by coach to Hastings where we will have lunch and the afternoon to explore.

I cannot find a printable self guide walking map on the Internet so am looking for suggestions. I expect we will want to see the Old Town and if time allows a visit to Hastings Country Park for views and a stroll. We would also like to have lunch in a pub or non pub which has outside tables should the weather be fine.

Any suggestions would be welcome on what streets/routes we should take. I assume there is a coach parking area in Hastings that we will be dropped off and picked up.

8 replies to this topic
Solihull
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting the best out of Hastings.

I went to Hasting about 10 years ago and at that time there was a Tourist Information Centre on the sea front.

The TIC was doing a guided walk round the old town so I did the walk with a guide.

I have to say it was pretty amazing because while the sea front is a bit "naff" with its gawdy arcades and fairground rides the old town "behind" the sea front is a hidden gem.

Maybe if you go in the TIC they will have a printed walk you could follow because I have to say it is well worth doing.

Sadly I bet few people who visit Hastings ever bother to visit the old town behind the sea front and miss out on it.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting the best out of Hastings.

Possible guided walk here

http://www.ohps.org.uk/guided-walks/

If you contact them they may send you a printed walk

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting the best out of Hastings.

"Sadly I bet few people who visit Hastings ever bother to visit the old town behind the sea front and miss out on it."

Old Town is starting point for us, always - best pubs !

Mike

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting the best out of Hastings.

Unfortunately the Tourist Information Centre here in Hastings closed some time ago, and the coach park right next door to it went the same way.

However, there is still a great deal to see and do in this place which is now my home. What time of year are you planning to visit ? There are events taking place throughout the year but obviously more at this time of year.

Coaches now drop passengers off along the seafront, right on the doorstep of the Old Town, which is well worth a visit. There are 2 funicular railways in the town. The West Hill ride is right in the centre of the old town, the East Hill ride takes you from The Stade to the start of Hastings Country Park.

urban75.org/photos/sussex/hastings-west-hill…

Hopefully I can provide more information as required.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,516 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting the best out of Hastings.

https:/…20english.pdf

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting the best out of Hastings.

Many thanks everyone

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
194 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting the best out of Hastings.

If you only have a relatively short time I would definately concentrate on the Old Town, The Stade, the Country Park and West Hill as these are all relatively close together and offer greatest density of attractions.

The main shopping street in the old town is George Street (which runs parrellel with seafront just to the east of St Mary in the Castle) and has lots of little independent shops and places to eat.

From the end of George Street you can turn right and walk along the historic high street (which also has a great range of independent shops and eateries. There are a number of little passageways (Twittens) which run off the high street and lead you up the hill (interesting ones to explore for possible routes up include the one next to St Clements Church, Sinnock Square next to Made in Hastings and the one next to the Wardrobe dress agency), from each of those little pathways lead up to the West Hill which provides great views over the rooftops of the old town and also gives you the option to visit the castle (which is largely ruins) and the smugglers caves (a good option if it is raining).

You can then make your way down one of the other passageways back down onto the high street. From there you could make your way through courthouse street (which is great for antiques), cross over the bourne and onto All saints street (the best preseved of the old town sreets with lots of half timber houses - there is a lovely pub (the crown directly opposite the courthouse street entrance).

At the sea end of All Saints Street is Rock A Nore Road which runs under the cliffs and is home to the distinctive net huts, a couple of interesting museums and the Jerwood Gallery. From Rock a Nore you can take a funicular railway up to the East Hill which forms the start of the Hastings Country Park. You should have time for a walk to Ecclesbourne Glen (the first of the glens in the park).

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,269 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting the best out of Hastings.

Edited: 28 August 2017, 12:14
Reply to: getting the best out of Hastings.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hastings