We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

Level Contributor
48 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

Hi

It will be our first time in Bournemouth and was wondering if you can answer the above questions as to whether Bournemouth is flat and easily accessible and if you can suggest a good place to stay as we will not be driving so would like to be near the pier and restaurants.

Can you recommend a quiet/less hectic area if Bournemouth is very busy in end of July to August?

I would appreciate decent hotels/b&BS which are central our budget is £150 a night and should include breakfast. Or good self catering which are central.

many thanks

11 replies to this topic
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

It has disabled access but Bournemouth is not particularly flat. I'd study a map of the town to see what's involved. The town centre ('The Square') and main shops are a quarter-mile walk from the pier via the Winter Gardens. The walk is level and there is disabled access and tarmac paths.

However, many restaurants are on Old Christchurch Road, which is on a hill; the train station is some way from the town centre, up a hill, and the hotels closest to the pier, on West Cliff, are also accessible via a steep road. Most of the central hotels are either on West or East Cliff - note the word 'cliff' - and involve a steep walk to get down to the beach. There is a cablecar on West Cliff that carries you up and down. But overall, unless you look at the Hermitage, the Royal Bath or the Premier Inn Central (and I've stayed in none of these and can't make a recommendation) I'd say it's a bit of walk to get to the pier or central beach area.

Going at the end of July/August is the start of the UK school holidays and will busy and expensive. There are restaurants all over town, including several around the pier and in The Square that will be easily accessible. But with regard to recommending alternatives, I'm not clear about what your priorities are. If it's flat beach access in a quieter area, maybe look at Sandbanks. Otherwise, most of the quieter Bournemouth seaside hotels are cliff-top, and beach access is via chines - small valleys - which involve a walk down slopes.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

Royal Bath and Hermitage are the only hotels with flat access to the beach. The Hermitage is very nice, but likely to be above your budget. Not been to Royal Bath as put off by bad reviews.

The Central Premier Inn is not a flat walk to the beach area.

I'm not sure Bournemouth is your best choice, but it really depends on your walking ability.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

There are lifts down the cliffs to Bournemouth beach. letsgoout-bournemouthandpoole.co.uk/things-t… I have found Bournemouth to be very disabled-friendly. There is a flat promenade 5 miles long which sometimes has windswept sand over parts which can be difficult, with some disabled parking spaces. I cannot remember the names of the hotels I have stayed at but they all had lifts and swimming pools in.

kent
Level Contributor
234 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

The Hermitage would be an excellent and probably the only choice and if you can avoid the weekend you can finds rooms within your budget. ie on their web site 5 days for, 30/7 is £651 but you would need to ring them regarding the facilities you would need in the room.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,305 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

From what I remember of visits to Bournemouth back in the 1970's and 1980's, there are quite a few hills. The last time I was there, which I think was back in 2010, we didn't venture far from the railway station, and that was a pretty flat area.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,049 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

I always remember from visits to Bournemouth that it is quite hilly with some steep slopes between various levels. And the prom that goes to one side from the Pier is called Undercliff Drive (which perhaps says it all).

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

Does anyone know if the lift up and down the east cliff is back in service after the cliff-fall?

If not, this could be a big problem.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
416 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

Nope still out of service and not looking like it will open soon. The track isn't still buckled as it looks like they are seeing if the cliffs have stabilised before deciding whether to repair

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

So if OP has walking difficulties, probably best not to stay in East Cliff area.

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
1,340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?

Bournemouth is lovely but busy, don't know if you have a car to travel in. If you do I suggest you go to Christchurch, its a lovely town, with Mudeford near by. Also Boscombe and Bournemouth are only a 10 minute drive away, you also are on the doorstep of the New Forest which opens more great places to visit. Christchurch has some nice hotels but it I stayed at Premier Inn east,which was good value. Hope this helps

Reply to: Is Bournemouth flat and disabled friendly? where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted