We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorbike Ride over Jurassic Coast

India
Level Contributor
19 posts
Motorbike Ride over Jurassic Coast

Hello, I am planning for a motorbike ride across Jurassic coast in December.

1) any advice on that?

2) is it Feasible?

3) How will be the temperature?

7 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Motorbike Ride over Jurassic Coast

Days are short and cold, roads are potentially icy and slippery. Not the best time of year for M-bike tours in the UK.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Motorbike Ride over Jurassic Coast

And please do not ride "over" the coast.......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nVVeiuMkvWM

Level Contributor
341 posts
1 review
3. Re: Motorbike Ride over Jurassic Coast

Endorsing comments 1 and 2.

Maybe use this site for detailed information: http://jurassiccoast.org/discover/

Enjoy.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Motorbike Ride over Jurassic Coast

Because of the rugged and hilly nature of the coast there are very few sections of road you can actually drive/ride that are close to the sea. The A3157, which runs along part of Chesil Beach between Weymouth and West Bay is pretty much the most of it and while the views are spectacular, access to the sea is restricted to beyond Abbotsbury because of the The Fleet (an inland waterway running behind Chesil).

Yes, it could be pretty vile if the weather's bad or there is sea fog, but on the other hand, sunny days in winter can be spectacular too, so it's a lottery. The rest of the Jurassic Coast has infrequent access points (Eype, Seatown, Charmouth) until you get to Lyme Regis but the main A35 doesn't actually run along the coastline and there are infrequent sea views.

There are one or two very minor road tracks off the beaten track (between Abbotsbury sub-tropical gardens and West Bexington, for example; a bike might be able to do that) one but don't think of going off road. First, it's boggy, second there's livestock in the fields, and third you'll get arrested.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,298 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Motorbike Ride over Jurassic Coast

And mind the tanks.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,840 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Motorbike Ride over Jurassic Coast

The thing, is, whilst 'sunny days in winter' can still be good for M-Bike riding, that is OK for locals who can choose to go out that day, or not.

If you are touring and the Bike is the only form of transport, and you don't have good protective clothing for wet weather, and you don't have a heated jacket/waistcoat/gloves/handlebars, the other days can be pretty miserable.

I don't personally think this would be a well advised trip, but it takes all sorts, and maybe the OP is a bit "Hard Core!

I went for a winter ride once on a nice sunny day, it was OK during 'sunlight' but freezing once the sun went down. I had not really gone that far, but by the time I got home I was definitely suffering severe hypothermia. Even a really hot bath, topped up with hot water at regular intervals and my family bringing me many cups of tea, it took 3 hours to feel 'almost' normal. Probably should have gone to hospital, but I'm stubborn like that!

I got the heated waistcoat very soon after!

Winter riding has been better since, even going down the A1 in a snowstorm - I was surprised how stable the M-bike was, but I would not like to do it again if I could avoid it!

South West England...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
140 reviews
7. Re: Motorbike Ride over Jurassic Coast

The A3157 Weymouth to Bridport is very popular with bikers some of whom use it as a sort of timed ride but generally in summer. It is hilly and twisty and not good in poor conditions. Temps in December could be between -10 and +15.

It is feasable but adviseable? Any motorcycle riding is potentially dangerous.

Reply to: Motorbike Ride over Jurassic Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dorset
Recent Conversations