We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi exeter to torquay

kirkham
Level Contributor
274 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi exeter to torquay

How much would a taxi be from exeter airport to torquay?

Would I be better pre booking one from torquay to collect me would it be cheaper?

Thanks

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,307 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi exeter to torquay

I would have thought that a bus from the airport to Exeter St Davids station, followed by a train to Torquay, would be a lot cheaper than a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
St Davids
St Davids
St Davids Peninsula, UK
Torquay
Torquay
English Riviera, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,179 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi exeter to torquay

I think so too. And a taxi to the airport followed by a train would also be cheaper than a taxi all the way, I reckon.

Is there some reason you want to avoid trains and buses?

But to answer the question, I'd think that pre booking a car from a Torquay company would be your best bet. If they have a booking to the airport which will match up with yours going back, they might be able to offer a better price

Mentioned in this post
Torquay
Torquay
English Riviera, UK
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi exeter to torquay

I don't know this area well, but today I drove through horrendous road works at Newton Abbot. If there is no way to avoid this, a taxi on the meter would be very expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Newton Abbot
Newton Abbot
Devon, UK
kirkham
Level Contributor
274 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi exeter to torquay

It is a elderly relative of mine and would prefer a taxi

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi exeter to torquay

The roadworks are part of the South Devon Link Road Project (aka the Kingskerswell bypass) which is due to be completed in December. I would imagine everyone who lives in Torbay and Newton Abbot areas know the way(s) round these works.

As for the OP, whilst the buses may have stopped running from the airport to St David's, a taxi then train then taxi is going to be far cheaper. It would of course help if the OP gave arrival times into Exeter Airport.

Mentioned in this post
South Devon
South Devon
Devon, UK
Newton Abbot
Newton Abbot
Devon, UK
Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi exeter to torquay

If you google "Exeter Airport to Torquay taxi" you'll get lots of suggestions but a very quick look says it would cost around the £40 minimum.

Mentioned in this post
Torquay
Torquay
English Riviera, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,307 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi exeter to torquay

I didn't know that the bus from the airport to St Davids had stopped.

I used it in the opposite direction 2 years ago when I travelled up on the train to Exeter from Truro, and then bus to the airport.

If £40 (ish) is the price for a taxi from the airport to Torquay then I would go for that, especially if it's for an elderly relative. ;-)

Edited: 14 March 2015, 01:09
Mentioned in this post
St Davids
St Davids
St Davids Peninsula, UK
Exeter
Exeter
Devon, UK
Truro
Truro
Truro District, UK
Torquay
Torquay
English Riviera, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
69,179 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi exeter to torquay

>>>And a taxi to the airport followed by a train<<<

Sorry, this should, of course, have read station instead of airport. £40 is less than I expected, I would have guessed at around £50 as a minimum.

A taxi makes sense for an elderly person with luggage.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,307 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi exeter to torquay

I don't know what the "airport transfer" taxi companies are like down there but if there are any they should be able to give a quote that won't increase if any delays are experienced.

For example, oop here in the north you can get a taxi transfer from my part of south Liverpool to Manchester Airport for a fixed price (like in London if you are going from Heathrow to the centre of London) and the price won't go up if the taxi is stuck in a traffic jam for an hour!

Try and find one of those companies.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,179 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi exeter to torquay

Yes, get a fixed price quote. As I said earlier, a Torquay based company may be the best bet.

Mentioned in this post
Torquay
Torquay
English Riviera, UK