We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked!

Staffordshire
4 posts
Just booked!

Just booked a week in Torquay with the family in the Summer! Now read the comments on Torquay Forums and have to say am a little apprehensive!!!!! Is it really as bad as people are saying? Feeling a little deflated now after initial period of holiday excitement

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Just booked!

I have been to Torquay for eight consecutive years I think! Keep away from stag and hen parties and it's very nice.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
419 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Just booked!

I love the area manage a visit most years so really would not worry

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Just booked!

Everyone has their own opinion of a place and all holiday destinations (in the uk) will have good and bad parts to them - depending on what you want to get out of your holiday.

The beaches are great around torbay and there are loads of activities to do with families, especially if you have a car, but even without the busses are fairly good.

It really depends on what you are looking for, sure you can look around the harbour and think to yourself that it may be a bit run down and could do with some investment, and if you are there on a weekend or august evening at the harbour area (where there is a high collection of pubs and clubs are) you may thing that it's not where you want to be, but just pick and choose what you do and when.

There is an amazing zoo, great beaches as I've said, living coasts sea life centre, quay west water park (water slides) Kent's caverns, occombe farm (a working farm with activities in the holidays) and the model village all close by. Get in the car and you have places like pennywell farm, the miniature pony centre, crealy adventure park - the options are endless. Dartmoor is a lovely place to visit and explore for walks, picnics.

Tell us the sort of things you are looking to do and we can help you out.

All the best

Tracey

Staffordshire
4 posts
4. Re: Just booked!

Thanks everyone, I feel slightly reassured! We are a family of 4 who like walking and kids love the beaches. We just want a run of the mill, take it day by day holiday. Visit different parts etc so it seems like we may be ok?!!

Peterborough
Level Contributor
419 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Just booked!

Sure your fears are unfounded and you will have a great time South Devon has stunning views

Take the ferry across to Brixham well worth a visit

And the children will love the steam train to Dartmouth which is so lovely

There are some great beaches

Suggest sending for the English Riviera guide full of information

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
487 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Just booked!

As you are a family which enjoys walking, then I suggest you consider taking up Geocaching (assuming you don't already) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching

There are plenty of geocaches around the Torbay area you will be able to look for which will help keep the children entertained and take you to some places you might not otherwise have gone.

And you can carry on enjoying Geocaching at home as well as next year's holiday and the year after etc.

7. Re: Just booked!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 01:59
Edited: 23 January 2015, 01:59
8. Re: Just booked!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 01:59
Staffordshire
4 posts
9. Re: Just booked!

Thanks for your positive reply. Feel more positive. Just hope the weather is kind too!

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Just booked!

I was in the area last week. It's a nice area, but if you like peace/walking/outdoors you might be better a little out of town. I'd second the recommendation for the Cary Arms, but it is very expensive and can be over-crowded, it's probably a bit too famous now.

I stayed at this place

http://www.orestonemanor.com/

and it was an absolute gem of a find, reasonably prices, quiet, nice gardens, sea views. It's not a traditional "seaside" hotel, much more of a country house, refined but relaxed, and run by the most lovely family. About 1/2 mile to the sea, but it's pretty steep on the way back. It's handy for the Coastal Path too.

Get answers to your questions about Torquay