We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agatha Christie Festival

Ghent, Belgium
1 post
Save Topic
Agatha Christie Festival

Hi,

Has anyone ever visited the Agatha Christie Festival?

If so, what's it like? I consider going in Sept but it's quite a trip, so I'd like to know whether it's really worth going?

Thanks!

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agatha Christie Festival

It really is a series of plays, plus events like special dinners etc. Most of the events on offer may be already booked, I personally think it's overrated. You can visit Agatha's home anytime, to get a feel of the writer, the festival is just a way of keeping her memory alive.

See englishriviera.co.uk/agathachristie/…

Newton Abbot...
Level Contributor
152 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agatha Christie Festival

Hi Larissa

I haven't been to the festival myself, but I have some friends who have been, and they really enjoyed it. They are big fans of Agatha Christie, so they were happy to immerse themselves in all that went on. I think it is probably something that will appeal greatly to avid fans, but perhaps not so much to people like me, who used to read her books as a teenager, and recognise the fact that she is the greatest writer, along with Shakespeare, the writers of the Bible and the Qur'an/Koran, of all time (if you judge according to book sales), but who doesn't particularly enjoy her books anymore. I have been to Greenway, and it is magnificent, as are some of the other locations used during the festival, such as Cockington Court and Burgh Island. If I were you I'd come to Devon for a few days and get a taste of the festival, but also enjoy some of the other things that are here, that make Devon so special. If you're a fan of Sherlock Holmes you can visit all sorts of locations that were used in the planning of Hound of the Baskervilles, up on Dartmoor. Learn about some of the greatest seafarers of all times, Sir Francis Drake and Sir Walter Raleigh, both of whom came from Devon. Just driving through the South Hams, or over to East Devon, you will see beautiful scenery and enchanting villages, and our coastline is exceptionally beautiful. You will have no problem filling a week in Devon, no matter what your interests, I assure you!

Bye for now

Alex

Mentioned in this post
Greenway
Greenway
1,527 Reviews
Dartmouth, UK
Cockington Court
Cockington Court
730 Reviews
Torquay, UK
Burgh Island
Burgh Island
244 Reviews
Plymouth, UK
Devon
Devon
England, UK
South Hams
South Hams
23 Reviews
Totnes, UK
Torquay, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agatha Christie Festival

If you enjoy going to the theatre there will be a play by Agatha Christie at the Princess Theatre on the seafront at Torquay during the festival. If you like comedy, then you'd enjoy an Agatha spoof ("Murdered to Death") which is performed by TOADS at The Little Theatre in Torquay during the festival fortnight. Details on its website:

www.toadstheatre.co.uk

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Edited: 24 August 2013, 02:54
Mentioned in this post
Princess Theatre
Princess Theatre
532 Reviews
Torquay, UK
Torquay
Torquay
English Riviera, UK
4. Re: Agatha Christie Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 01:07
5. Re: Agatha Christie Festival

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 May 2014, 01:07
6. Re: Agatha Christie Festival

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 09:46