We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Torquay

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
228 posts
43 reviews
New to Torquay

Hi i am coming to Torquay on Oct 15th with my mother who is 81 on a coach holiday staying at Abbey lawn, ok my questions...will there be any markets? reccomendations for a nice afternoon tea? Advice on trip to Paignton zoo? bars with lively entertainment (yes my mother is 81 but likes a bit of a laugh) what is shopping like? Is the area flat? thanks in advance for any help you can offer x

THE CHEESE PRESS
Gift & Speciality Shops
Sewing the Seeds
Gift & Speciality Shops
Mos-Alow-Tom
Gift & Speciality Shops
Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
176 reviews
1. Re: New to Torquay

Torquay? Flat? - are you joking??

And as for markets and shopping, you'll be better off going to Exeter...

Plenty of good lively bars around the harbourside and Paignton Zoo is a must, get a joint ticket for Living Coasts and save money...

Afternoon tea - try Cockington court..

The Abbey lawn is an OK hotel though (IMHO), but I haven't stayed there for nearly 20 years...

Hope you enjoy your visit...

ATB,J.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
228 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: New to Torquay

Is Torquay flat? I don't want to go to Exeter if i did I would have booked to go there!!!! As I stated my mother is 81 and so will not want to be going far so any local nice cafes that do cream teas?

Edited: 27 September 2012, 04:06
Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
900 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: New to Torquay

Forgive me nannabee, but if you respond to kind people who give you friendly advice in the way you responded to Merseygull, you're not going to get a lot of help I suspect. Instead, you may wish to show a bit of courtesy rather than making snappy comments like 'I don't want to go to Exeter if i did I would have booked to go there'... :-(

I wish you all the best in Torquay!

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
228 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: New to Torquay

Likewise ,,,,,is Torquay flat! I didn't understand at all that comment as stated I have never been to Torquay so have no idea if it's flat or hilly A simple no its hilly would be much more Polite don't you think? And suggesting I have booked the wrong Place to take my mother is also not very polite? why be flippant I just want to know if I will be able to push a wheelchair around Torquay! I don't want a suggestion of a different town when I have already booked to go to Torquay x anyway can someone answer my original question is Torquay flat lol and is there local cafes to abbey lawn thanks in advance

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
900 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: New to Torquay

Sorry Nannabee, was trying to help you gain more replies, but I see was / am wasting my time. Rest my case.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
201 reviews
6. Re: New to Torquay

Perhaps you should have asked first as to whether Torquay is hilly or not before you booked your holiday.

Anyway, for what it's worth, it's level all the way along the seafront from Torquay Station to the harbour but away from there you're starting to climb.

Shopping is poor, especially compared to Exeter, and strung out over quite a distance which is also hilly.

As for "bars with lively entertainment" then you need the harbourside area - just don't be put off by the police and ambulances parked ready to hand!!!

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
176 reviews
7. Re: New to Torquay

It's a pity that TA doesn't have smileys, then my reply might have come across in the right context and been more palatable...

I can't think of anywhere nice to go for tea near the Abbey Lawn...

AND, staying where you are, you're up quite a hill from the sea front/level ground...

AND, just where did I suggest that you've booked the WRONG place to take your Mother?

ATB,J.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 00:11
Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: New to Torquay

The main promenade in Torquay IS flat,in fact you can journey to both Paignton and Brixham and take in the whole of Torbay without a hill in sight! Not too hot on recommending cream teas, they do vary a lot both in quality and price, best to look how they are served before you order, be put off if you see pre-packed jam !

Enjoy your break|.

Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
176 reviews
9. Re: New to Torquay

@8... YES, the seafront is flat, but the OP is well up a hill from that.........

and having got there, I still say Cockington for a cream tea,,,but it's a (2 mile) flat walk

ATB,J.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 04:32
Teignmouth, United...
Level Contributor
489 posts
176 reviews
10. Re: New to Torquay

@8 .... are you saying that there is a flat route with no hills between Paignton and Brixham?....sorry, you're totally WRONG

No way to walk it... bus, taxi or car...

ATB,J.