We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Spirit

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Spirit

I go away for 2 nights in early December for xmas shopping and as a Birthday Treat, normally it's to Southampton or Bournemouth, for once my annual Torquay trip was 3 weeks before xmas, may I ask where Torquay's xmas spirit is, no christmas market, lack lustre lighting and atmosphere, it felt like every other visit to Torquay, I know buses fly thru the centre without a care in the world but the wooden market sheds could easily be spread throughout the lower shopping area, around the prom and harbour, the tree and dec's by living coats sums it up, please tell me this year's a bad one and it's not normally like this in the English Rivieras Crown Jewel.

THE CHEESE PRESS
Gift & Speciality Shops
Sewing the Seeds
Gift & Speciality Shops
Mos-Alow-Tom
Gift & Speciality Shops
5 replies to this topic
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Spirit

If you wanted a Christmas market did you not think to check one was definitely on?

Some towns don't ever have them and some don't have them every year.

All of Devon's Christmas markets can be found here: devonlive.com/whats-on/whats-on-news/heres-c…

Edited: 04 December 2017, 15:53
Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
834 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Spirit

The lack of Christmas spirit should fully fall n the shoulders of the District Council which is something Torquay apparently does not have. At the moment there is only a District Council for Torbay and even Brixton has one, but both Torquay and Paignton currently lack a DC. The good news is that it seems to be in the works. The following article is quite interesting:

devonlive.com/news/devon-news/town-councils-…

Edited: 04 December 2017, 16:06
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Spirit

My father moved into the Torbay area in the mid 70s and I have since watched Torbay fall into decline. An English Riviera it might have been.

A lacklustre Christmas does not surprise me. Like many English costal towns there has been a massive decline in investment and they have perhaps seen more than their fair share of social problems.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
834 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Spirit

I actually played cricket for Paignton Cricket Club in the 70's. Torbay is really a retirement place today but run down, a real shame because the area used to be beautiful. The coast all the way up from Kingsbridge and Start Point to Exeter and beyond is so interesting. But I still put it down to the Council for not doing something about it. My best friend is CEO for a District Council and he is dynamic about regeneration and tourism and making improvements to all the historical town buildings and it has paid off. Agree with you that it was considered the English Riviera in those days. Such a shame.

Edited: 04 December 2017, 20:01
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Spirit

I was in Torquay last week and I actually found the low-key nature of Christmas there quite refreshing. People don;t go to Torquay for the shopping, and the last thing the place needs is a feeble half-cocked attempt at a "me-too" tacky Christmas market.

I also managed to miss all that horrid snow. It was 8C in Torquay.

Edited: 17 December 2017, 16:32
Reply to: Christmas Spirit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Torquay