We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Torquay

London, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Torquay

Hi all,

My partner and I are coming along to Torquay on 5th August for a week. We are both 30.

I've never been before, so I'm keen to find out the best things to do whilst we are here. Neither of us drive, but quite happy to get buses/trains to surrounding towns/cities etc.

We like walking, so would like to do some lovely walking trails (with beach views if possible), we like to wander around castles etc, go to nice beaches and just see beautiful sights (which I hear there are plenty of in Devon!).

Also, if there are any hot days whilst we are there (hopefully) we'd quite like to chill by an outdoor pool. Are there any?

In the evenings, we don't want anything too crazy - some nice meals with a few drinks etc.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Vicki

6 replies to this topic
Peterborough
Level Contributor
417 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Torquay

Suggest you have a look at the English Riviera website which may give you a few ideas

Public transport in Torbay is plentiful and buses run very regularly around the bay A day rider ticket which is about 5 pounds will give you access to all of Torbay and as far down as Dartmouth ( well worth a visit)

Also a ferry service from Torquay to Brixham much quicker than the bus

There is also a steam train or boat trips to Dartmouth

Outdoor pools at Quaywest Paignton which has flumes ect or a beach pool in Brixham at Sholestone beach

Torquay station where you can get trains to Exeter and Plymouth although in just a week would expect you will find plenty to do in the area

Level Contributor
48 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Torquay

You can't go to Torquay without visiting Babacombe model village. I've been going to Torquay since I wulas young but have to go there every time! There's a crazy golf on the sea front in Torquay and one in Paignton which is 5 minutes on the train. The Carey Arms is good for a meal or drink with views.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,093 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Torquay

Tons to see and do in and around Torquay (where are you staying BTW?). If you like walking you can get the South West Coast Path in either direction and there are buses back from several points along the route.

As said, the £5 Torbay Dayrider ticket will give you unlimited travel on all Stagecoach buses in Torbay - including the open-top 122 service out to Babbacombe/St Marychurch and Paignton - and as far out as Newton Abbot, Teignmouth, Dawlish/Dawlish Warren, Totnes and Kingswear.

The Western Lady ferries will take you across to Brixham, from the Harbour it is a short walk to the Shoalstone salt-water pool which is run by volunteers and is free to use. Otherwise the sea is generally clam in Torbay and most beaches offer safe swimming. Stand-up Paddle Boarding is also very popular in Torbay and you can easily get a half-hour trial session for £10 or less.

There are plenty of places to eat and drink around Torquay Harbour, to suit all pockets. I like Amici (29 Torwood Street) for unpretentious Italian food, or Bianco's across the road for a more intimate bistro-style atmosphere. I haven't been to the newly-opened Harbour Kitchen (Victoria Parade) but I have heard good things about it. If you really want to push to boat out, no. 7 Fish Bistro on Beacon Hill, or the Orange Tree on Parkhill Road - if you hope to get into either of these I would recommend you book now! There is also the Elephant on Beacon Hill which is Torquay's only Michelin-starred restaurant, but for some reason that has never appealed to me. For fish-and-chips try Saltwater, although if you are going to Babbacombe, Hanbury's blows everything around Torquay Harbour out of the, erm, water.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,425 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Torquay

Babbacombe and St Mary Church are well worth a visit. As well as the model village and Bygones museum (possibly of more interest to older people), the Cliff Railway will take you down to Oddibcombe Beach and back if you fancy something a bit different,. and the South West Coastal Path runs along Babbacombe Downs with stunning views.

wirewiper is right about Hanbury's. It's only a very short stroll from the Downs. Another favourite of ours during our recent stay was the Hole in the Wall pub near Torquay. We had a meal there on night and drinks another. It's full of atmosphere and we thought the food was excellent. The steak I had there was the best I've eaten in several years.

We bought a 7 day bus ticket for £18 each. We managed to get to Dawlish, Teignmouth, Brixham, Totnes and Dartmouth, so I think we got our money's worth :-)

5. Re: First time in Torquay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2018, 16:01

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Torquay

Debra, as explained on another thread, advertising and self promotion aren’t permitted in these forums expect your posts to be deleted

Reply to: First time in Torquay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Torquay