We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs & Public Transport - St Mawes. Advice please.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Pubs & Public Transport - St Mawes. Advice please.

Hi,

We're coming down to St Mawes for a week at the start of October, on a coach trip including garden visits. Can anyone please advise on some decent real ale pubs in town, especially Cornish beer.

We're in English Heritage, so I fancy seeing other areas, such as Pendennis Castle. How easy it is to take public transport/ferry to other areas from St Mawes?

PS, I enjoy real beer, am in EH, but don't have pipe or cardigan 8-))

Many thanks for any advice, HJ

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs & Public Transport - St Mawes. Advice please.

Hi there

If my memory serves me correctly, there are three pubs in St Mawes. There's the Victory Inn where I had a few pints of Sharp's Doom Bar recently, the Rising Sun which is a Cask Marque St Austell house so I imagine they'd sell Tinners, HSD, etc and there's the St Mawes Hotel which I've never visited but says on it's website that it serves "Cornish real ales" so take your pick

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs & Public Transport - St Mawes. Advice please.

Thanks for the information, can't wait to try it out.

Blois, France
Destination Expert
for Blois
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs & Public Transport - St Mawes. Advice please.

Hi HJ

Following on from GB;

The Rising Sun currently has Tinners and HSD on draught and usually another as well, St Austell Brewery often releases a limited edition ale celebrating a special occasion. HSD is my preference as it's stronger than Tinners.

Doom Bar at the Victory is probably one of the best pints in the village.

The St Mawes Hotel carries a couple from Skinners (another local brewery), Betty Stogg's and Cornish Knocker. Despite the names they are both pretty good and if you like them you can buy it in bottles in the next door Spar store to take home with you.

About a mile outside of the village is Roseland Inn at Philleigh. A very traditional pub serving a selection of real ales and also good food. Definately worth a visit, but might not be possible if you do not have a car.

The St Mawes ferry which runs all day from St Mawes to Falmouth is a quick and easy way to get across the estuary to Falmouth and then onto Pendennis Castle.

Here's the link to the timetable- kingharryscornwall.co.uk/ferries/st_mawes_fe…

And finally heres a link to the St mawes webcam so you can have a look at the village before you arrive- http://www.stmawesharbour.co.uk/webcam.php

Hope that helps :-)

P.S You will not need a pipe anymore (since the smoking ban) and cardigans are no longer obligatory...

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs & Public Transport - St Mawes. Advice please.

Thanks for all that info, imisscornwall. I'll have a look at the websites and timetable. I'll see if I can find any timetables for buses from Pendennis onward too.

Can't wait for our break now. HJ

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pubs & Public Transport - St Mawes. Advice please.

Not sure there is a regular bus service that will take you from Prince of Wales Pier to Pendennis but if I can make a suggestion....

Have the ferry over from St Mawes reasonably early. Take a cab from The Moor (short walk up from the pier on the Falmouth side) to Pendennis Castle rather than waiting around. Have your castle exploration. (PS. Take some binoculars if you have them) Then you have a downhill walk to the sea front which is level all the way along Cliff Road to Gyllynvase Beach.

Late lunch in the Gylly Cafe. (Been several times and been good each time)

You might stop of at the Princes Pavilion Gardens along the way but have not been for many moons so not sure what they're like now.

After lunch cut through from the cafe to the town (up through Gyllynvase Rd and come down by the Maritime Museum)

If you fancy the Museum it's worth a stop. Then you have a nice amble back along the Church/Arwenack St to the pier for your return to ST Mawes?

Clearly the wheels come off a bit if it's tippping with rain but most is still doable!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pubs & Public Transport - St Mawes. Advice please.

Thanks for that, we'll give it a go and if it looks like rain, we can always go the next day. HJ

7. Re: Pubs & Public Transport - St Mawes. Advice please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 23:46
Get answers to your questions about St Mawes
More St Mawes Topics