We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

Austin, Texas
14 posts
Save Topic
visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

I am debating between staying in Port Isaac or outside of it. We want to spend a lot of time in Port Isaac but want to see nearby areas as well. We will have a rental car. If we stay outside of the village itself will we be able to park there and then walk? Or is the parking lot normally full?

We could stay in the village and then walk from our rental unit but I think I might prefer to stay out a little bit; so we're not right in the thick of the crowds all the time.

Anyone have comments on the Counting House Cottage, Wayside on New Road, or Cartway Cove Cabin? Thank You.

West Sussex UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

Hi There,

We are staying in the 'White House' in Port isaac on the harbour next month, a parking space comes with the cottage which I believe are like gold dust. we wanted to stay in Port Isaac as it is such a beautiful place. I believe that there is ample parking but that the car parks (lots) can work out expensive.I am sure that someone will be able to advise about the above rental properties.

We visit Cornwall quite a lot, if you want any suggestions for places to visit just ask.

Kindest Regards

Lindsey

PS We were advised to make reservations at the 'edge' restaurant early, food is supposed to lovely, the restaurant offers fantastic sea views, we asked for a table with a sea view, our booking was confirmed very quickly.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

Port Isaac is extremely busy in the High Season,due to the TV show Doc Martin.It really is a place to visit for a day rather than a whole holiday.I have a home nearby and we never visit Port Isaac in the high season,just getting a cup of coffee can be a mission.

Both of those cottages look lovely,New Road is the road into Port Isaac and there is a big car park on it,lots of people going up and down.

Port Gaverne where the other cottage is situated is really lovely and would be more peaceful.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 22:18
Austin, Texas
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

Thank you Lindsey and atg1. I didn't even think about New Road being so busy. Unfortunately my husband is a school teacher so the only time we can travel for 2 weeks is in the summer.

We are leaning toward Port Gaverne or a new cottage I found which is more to the top of Port Isaac and supposedly is easy to get in and out of with a car.

Filming will be going on again too in Port Isaac next summer which will really make it busy. But we just think that area is so beautiful and are in love with the Doc Martin show. My sister has probably watched each episode 100 times.

We plan on going to the Eden Project for a day too. And want to walk on the coastal trail.

Other good places to visit that are not too far from Port Isaac?

Thanks again - Rachel

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
728 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

Hi Rachel, I'm planning a trip to Cornwall as well. :) Within half a hour's drive of Port Isaac is Tintagel Castle in Tintagel and the Museum of Witchcraft in Boscastle. You may also be interested in Lanhydrock Park in Bodmin - a National Trust property.

Suzanne :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
728 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

Oh, and don't forget The Old Post Office in Tintagel as well - another NT property. :)

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

North Cornwall is beautiful,lots of beautiful beaches and also little hidden coves.

Lots of information on.

http://www.visitcornwall.com/

http://www.ilovecornwall.net/

Austin, Texas
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

Thank you again atg1 and SuzySey. Those are great suggestions.

I have a whole new question to ask now regarding transportation. We will be staying in London after we arrive from USA. I was thinking it may be best to take a train or bus from London to maybe Bristol to then get our rental car. I don't want to drive anywhere near London.

Does that sound like a good idea? Is Bristol a good place to get a rental car? I hate to even think how expensive it will be. Thank you again.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
920 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

If you're going straight to Port Isaac from London, you would be better getting the train to Bodmin Parkway and picking up your hire car there. This site will give you an idea of the likely cost. If there are only 2 or 3 of you, a tariff one car should be fine.

http://www.bbchire.co.uk/

A few other suggestions for places to visit are Trebarwith Strand and lunch at the Port William pub overlooking the beach, Rocky Valley, Polzeath and Daymer Bay which is one of my favourite places any where.

If you do decide to stay in Port Gaverne, it's only about a 10 -15 minute walk into Port Isaac and only a little further to the Doc's cottage. There's also a good pub (Port Gaverne Hotel) there which also had self catering cottages - just in case you're interested in looking further.

But as others have said, parking is a nightmare in Port Isaac in the summer and you shouldn't even think of driving down through the village to the harbour area because of the very narrow and bendy road - which this old picture should give you some idea of!

www.portisaac.org.uk/files/images/rnli2.jpg

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

Gawd Sammysgranny - thanks for the link to the photo - that must have been one huge high tide ;-)

Edited: 16 August 2012, 09:29
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
920 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting summer 2013 - parking and cottage question

No high tide Marmalade - they used to have to manipulate the lifeboat down through that narrow street to launch it!

Here's another link:

visiting-cornwall.co.uk/LBS/Port_Isaac_LBS.h…

Get answers to your questions about Port Isaac