We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
119 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Looking to visit Newquay during Aug.for 3/4 night break and been looking at Esplanade Hotel and The Pentire hotel

Can you tell me are they opposite ends of Newquay, which one is nearer to the fifteen restaurant and would it be reasonable price by taxi to the restaurant.

Also where could i find out if there are any surfing comps at the time we are visiting..

Thanks

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location

Both hotels are on the pentire headland overlooking Fistral beach and I would say about 15 minute walk into town which is a bit hilly.Can't comment on the pentire hotel but we used to stay at the esplanade, great location, good fascilitys and food, haven't been since 2005 so can't say what's it like now but by all accounts it's still good.

The Fifteen restruant is at Watergate Bay which is best reached by taking the back road past the boating lake, through Porth, over the hill down into Watergate bay( the Newquay to Padstow coastal road is fantastic). Never stopped at the Watergate bay hotel but it all looks impressive and you walk straight onto a great surfing beach so might be a consideration for accommodation.No idea about taxi fare but I reckon about a 5 mile 20 minute journey from pentire so it could be around £20 but best get quote from a taxi firm.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location

Thank you for your reply....so both hotels have a side view of Fistral Bay. Do you know any hotels that face straight on to the Bay

Thanks

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location

If you want to stay near Fifteen-then Porth Beach area would be the place to stay.

Boardmasters is on 8-12th Aug for surfing comps.

Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location

The Esplanade Hotel overlooks fistral beach.I would suggest this as the better hotel for the view.

Have you already booked at Fifteen for your dates, they are already filling for August already.

Click on the link for the Hotel.

Edited: 30 January 2012, 06:09
Cardiff
Level Contributor
119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location

Kirsty what is the boradmasters ? is it music festival or surfing comp. we are hoping to see lots of surfing :)

Taffy

Newquay
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location

here you go

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boardmasters_Festival

john

Cardiff
Level Contributor
119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location

John thanks for that link but i cant see a list of the events and times for 2012. We are booked into Bay hotel 13th Aug for 3 nights but could book in earlier if if meant being able to watch surfing comp....is it a ticket event ?

Sorry for being stupid today, it's my age :)

Taffy

Newquay
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location

try this..main page for the boardmasters

http://www.boardmasters.co.uk/index.php

john

9. Re: Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 10:17