We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

Seeing as I cannot find them and its impossible to get them added for some reason - I'd like to explain to anyone who wants to avoid being ripped off why not to stay at this hole.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

Go on then.

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

Bit of a knee-jerk from my weekend away - just want to try get one over on them like they did us - spread the word!

Upon arrival for a stag-do myself and our 11 others were asked to provide a £30 deposit or bond that would be returned when checking out - this didnt raise any eyebrows as we all knew we are decent chaps and although on a stag weekend would still remain relativley responsible especially to someone who was putting us ups property. We werent too impressed when checking in, the couple running the 'hotel' were fine and welcomed us but the rooms were very small and basic,relativley clean but you couldnt see the floor as they had jammed 4 beds in there meaning getting ready was chaos and we had to dress/undress on our beds. We all agreed this wasnt the Ritz but laughed it off and carried on with our weekend. Now, for the frustrating and completley out of line part. During our first nights return we merrily got in around the same time and admittedley were a little loud (no-one was sharing hotel and as noted its a stag-do!)The landlord came upstairs - I guess to warn us that we may be a little over-excited but discovered the fire alarm box was on the floor to which fair enough he got upset about. No-one in our group did this on purpose (I myself nearly caught it and it pertrudes about 3 inches out the wall as you leave either of the two ridiculously tiny rooms. Most of these boxes are sunk in the wall to prevent this. Long story short - Landlord makes up some story how he has to re-set and call a engineer from Exeter (?) and keeps our £360. I doubt they get much business and saw an excellent way of scamming money. Perhaps it was to buy a new jumper? He wore the same filthy red jumper all 3 days we were there morning/evening and during cooking our (admittedley nice) breakfasts, I can also assume that the other comment left is by a friend or family member as this was sub-standard, showers were either way to hot or too cold despite battling them for several minutes, a 'pint' at the bar is £2.50 - not bad? Well yes if its a multi-pack can of Fosters, maybe Im picking straws for what essentially is a B&B but feeling a bit sore from losing out £360 wrongly (I got a quote to fix this when home and was told no more than £110 anyway) Stay here if you want to lose your deposit - I firmly beleive this 'accident' was staged. Good luck! Breathe in its a squash!

Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

Hi John & welcome to the T/A forums. Sorry to here that you had such a bad experience. I can assure you that not all places are like this and it will not stop you visiting Newquay again.

I found some reviews for The Ridge Hotel, you might like to take a look.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&rlz=1I7DKUK_en&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=the+ridge+hotel+newquay&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=the+ridge+hotel&hnear=newquay&cid=1338845033249970014&dtab=2&ei=H_oTS4OkJMii4QaC9LmPBA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBQQqgUwAA

Edited: 30 November 2009, 22:31
Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

Sorry John, dont seem to be able to link it. Just type in website.

Aylesbury
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

We LOVED Newquay! It was an awesome place with great people and fantastic night life, just a shame about the dive we stayed in and the way the chap at The Ridge ripped us off to generate some last minute Xmas money.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

Well I can see how damaging a fire alarm may have serious consequences and involve a hefty cost to repair. Then again I cant help wondering whether jamming 4 beds into a tiny room leaving no floor space to get dressed in might have had equally serious consequences in the event of, heaven forbid, an emegergency ? Just a thought.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

Hi there

I too can't understand why the owners, seeing as the place was empty other than for your party, crammed four beds into each room. As has been said, from a fire/safety point of view, I'd say it was highly illegal.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

There are some right dodgy 'budget' accomadations in Newquay to attract the stag/hen market. They seem to think that large groups on that sort of break will put up with anything. How they get their fire safety certificate is a puzzle to me.

If you really feel cheated and that your rooms were unsafe in any way,report to the relevant authority.

Newquay, United...
Destination Expert
for Newquay, Cornwall
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

BC, unfortunately you do not have to have a fire certificate anymore. It is now left to the owners to see everything is in place. Having said that I had a visit recently,from the Fire brigade, everything fine thank goodness. Do agree with GB on that matter, though.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do NOT stay at The Ridge Hotel Newquay!

Lilly, thats surprised me. So basically anyone can open up a B&B without any checks on fire safety? Strange decision to change that, especially after the Penhallow fire a couple of years ago.