We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

The week after Easter we'll be travelling with a campervan from Bristol to Lands End with our 17 year old.

We're interested in nature and the arts. I've been reading many reviews and the top-to-do-lists, but need some advise in making the right choices, in terms of weather conditions around April and also in view of our teen....

So far I've put following stops on the list for our trip to Lands End.

- Gweek, National Seal Sanctuary

- The Eden Project

- Porthcurno, Minack Theathre - we've booked tickets for Titanic already

- Falmouth, Trebah Garden

- Boscastle Witchcraft Museum

- Penzance, Penlee Museum

1. Are there any other towns, places or nature parks / walks that you personally would go for in addition or instead of the above list??

2. Does anyone have good suggestions as to nice places to stay with the campervan?

All suggestions are welcome :-) Thank you.

Edited: 02 March 2012, 22:08
Essex
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

The information I have is the same as you, from the website(s) I have posted.

As I understand it, you can take the coastal Path - which is a public footway, up to the Reserve - but can be a bit of a tricky walk for some.

Otherwise you can take the easier route which sets off from near the Wink pub, this appears to be the one which crosses private land (not necessarily Tangye land), but is an easier walk if the landowners will allow you access.

As I said, DT was alive when I was last in the area. The Reserve had not been instigated then, and I never visited the Dorminack site, as I would not have wanted to disturb the Tangye, even though I think his books are good and secretly would loved to have visited and met him, really!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

Nearer to Porthcurno you will find the Logan Rock Inn at Treen, which has a campsite on the edge of the village where I am sure I have seen camper vans. Might be a useful overnight base for you!

First you sample the beer at the Inn then you have to go & find the Logan Rock itself, which is out on the coast. But don't push it down the cliffs!

Edited: 07 March 2012, 19:19
UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

St Ives for everything in general but I like the galleries and the walk along the coast to Lelant. Also Heligan..

Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

@ ChicChantal

I checked this link cornwalls.co.uk/arts_and_crafts/galleries/in…

and am overwhelmed by the choice. In order not to strain the patience of my family either, would you be kind enough to point out 1 -2 best museums and galleries in St. Ives?

How much time would you calculate for a round tour along the cost to Lelant?

Is there any specific point/restaurant to turn around or to have a rest?

Edited: 15 March 2012, 19:20
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

The Hepworth Museum and Garden. The sculptures are fantastic - very tactile. The garden is a tiny peaceful haven. Also the Tate. It is modern art so it depends on your taste. You may see dolphins from the lovely window. You can buy a joint ticket for both.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

re. Lamorna

The Lamorna Pottery [ which is on the road from PZ to Lamorna, in the woodland, just before you turn off to drive down to the cove] does very nice home-cooked meals and lovely cream teas. They also have a nice gift shop and a small collection of Tangye memorabilia on display.

UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

St Ives society of artists is the one that I would pick from that list, afraid I am no good at the names of galleries since I know them all by sight so to speak. to me they are 'the one next to St Andrew's Street Bistro' and 'the one on the corner near the pizza place'. Sorry! If you walk to Lelant you can stop at Carbis Bay and also when you reach the Hayle estuary and turn inland, if you turn right by the church you come out by the Badger Inn. Ask directions to the Badger when you get to the church, anyone can tell you. It takes me about 2 hours one way, and I am fat and unfit, and you can get the bus back.

Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

Thank you folks! Once again, I'm so pleased to have received so many great suggestions. It's another 2 weeks to go before we head to England and I wonder what else there might be to discover... ;-)

I promise that upon our return I'll write a report of what we ended up doing.

With all of your good advise this is bound to be a fantastic vacation!

All cheers from Berlin!

Edited: 22 March 2012, 04:03
Essex
Level Contributor
26,995 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

Hope you have a great trip, you are visiting a lovely area so can't go too far wrong!! Thanks for your help on the Berlin Forum also!!

Regards, EW

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: What not to miss in Cornwall (with Campervan and a 17 y old)

Hi Kaupelei

Yes, have a great time in Cornwall and do let us know how you get on.